ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔉𝔦𝔳𝔢

"When you said you wanted a rematch, I didn't realize you meant an entirely different kind of fight," Theo said, holding out his bo staff and crossing it against mine.

"I let you call the shots," I returned. I threw my bo staff into the air and caught it with my right hand, giving it a quick whirl before setting one end to the ground against the hollow of my right foot. "I'll be honest, you chose quite the interesting game." My eyes trailed from his to the assortment of weapons displayed across the walls of the martial arts section of the gym.

"I call it 'Equipped'. No rules. No reason."

'Equipped' round one started with one of the most basic weapons known to man: the bo staff. Arms and legs were part of the players and therefore not considered added weapons. They could be used at any time to make the game more interesting.

In round two each player was allowed to select one sword type of their choice to add to their arsenal, despite whoever was the victor in round one.

Round three guns were added, loaded with rubber bullets that stung like fire.

Round four was when the 'no rules' 'no reason' fully came into play. At the time the bell chimed signaling the start of the fourth round, each player was allowed to grab any weapon they wished from where they rested on the wall. Since there were no rules, they could grab as many as they wished and change out when needed.

"How about we raise the stakes?" I murmured so only Theo could hear. "If I win, you have to help me steal something from your grandma's office."

"And if I win," Theo returned, "you can't pull any kind of trick for a month."

"Deal."

"Deal."

I could barely hear the crowd of students surrounding the matted area, chanting Theo's name. My eyes met my opponent's and his mine. It began the fight long before the referee—a teacher that was way too enthusiastic—called out, "Begin!"

Suddenly, Theo's staff was on my arm, creating a wave of pain from an unhealed bruise. I bit back a scream and jumped away.

I had applied the essential oils Wren had given me as often as it could soak into my skin. It had the ability to drastically lower the healing time of bruises, but it wasn't exactly a miracle worker that could heal in a day.

This was full contact. No holding back.

I couldn't cry after one hit.

Swish. Thwack.

The speed of his attack and my narrow dodge sent me flying off balance. But he didn't give me I chance to recover. His staff swung at my head, catching the small wisps of hair that refused to stay in my ponytail.

While I was low on the ground, I swung my staff at his legs, hoping to get him off his feet.

He jumped away, flipping in the air and landing a few feet away.

His distance didn't last long.

He pushed himself off his back foot and launched himself forward.

Step.

Step.

Swoosh.

I breathed in through gritted teeth as the force of the blow attempted to push me toward the right side of the crowd.

I refused to fall, shifting positions and wrapping my left arm around his staff resting on the side of my rib. It kept me steady on my feet long enough to recover.