ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔗𝔢𝔫

Five hours.

That's how long it took for the school's police to get us out of the safe room.

Not only did it mean the tutors had all gone home, but it was also pitch black when we finally emerged from the pit.

I just don't understand why it took so long to gather a few ladders.

"Hey, Theo, do you have a roommate?" I asked. I stopped walking and Theo did the same, turning to face me with an inquisitive look. "Is that a no?"

"Not at the moment," he replied.

"Well, now you do," I said, coming up behind Elio and straining to put an arm around his broad shoulder. "Meet your new roommate, boys." I grabbed their hands and forced them into a handshake. "Now that that's settled, I'm going to go take a long nap." I left them there in shocked silence as I walked off, waving my hand casually.

"Sleep will be difficult if you take a nap this close to bedtime," Wren said, jogging to catch up to me.

"Who are you? My mom?"

"I am far too young to be your mom."

I ended up taking Wren's advice and resisting the urge to just flop onto the bed and sleep for the rest of eternity. The main reason wasn't my concern for my sleep schedule. It was because there was something far more important on my mind.

Project Desdemona.

If it had anything to do with its meaning, then I knew it was trouble.

The headmistress was leaving in less than a week. She had announced so in that morning's assembly. But Wren was still working out all the details of the woman's office security so it was difficult to make any plans concerning our break-in.

"I deeply apologize for this impromptu decision. You all know I'm not one for surprises...or vacations," the headmistress said with a wink, her full-scale projection flickering as she laughed.

She cleared her throat. "My sister has managed to get herself sick, and as her older sister, it is my duty to take care of her. Can you believe she hasn't managed to get herself a boyfriend yet? She's almost thirty for goodness sake!"

This time the crowd of students laughed with her. As her remaining chuckles died away she called, "Alright, alright." She raised a hand to silence the room. "I will be leaving in one week time. While I am away, Deputy Headmaster, Levi Terris, will be in charge. He will be handling all matters concerning my position. Thank you. I will now leave you to general announcements." She bowed her head and then disappeared.

According to the many times I've overheard her conversations with suspicious characters over the phone, it was true that she was leaving for the virus. But not because her sister had caught it.

Actually, the whole sister thing could be a lie for all I know. She's never mentioned any siblings other than Theo's dad before now.

"Wren, do you think you could get me Theo's number?" I asked my friend. Her slim frame was outlined by her bright computer screen as she typed away with her right hand faster than she clicked her pen with her left. She put the pen to her mouth, holding it between her teeth as she nodded and continued to type even faster with both hands. I looked down at my own. I'd be lucky if I could type my name with my two pointer fingers in less than an hour.

I gave a little chuckle before turning to my own computer and continuing my research.

Suddenly the door swung open, revealing a red-faced Theo. He huffed as he entered the room, his mouth opening. Before he could speak, I said, "Perfect timing, Theo." I rolled my chair over to him. "I had a question for you."