The Beam in the Eye

Harry woke with a start.

Early morning's blue shades wrapped the room in soft calm. He lay in a wide bed, and, on his left, Ginny was sleeping soundly. Her long, red hair flowed on the pillow as though caught in a storm.

Harry inhaled deeply and chortled to himself, wiping the sweat from his brow. How real a dream seems while you're there, he thought. And how ridiculous the moment you wake up.

Mrrroooh, came a growl.

Harry's eyes popped in rapt attention before he realised his stomach was sounding complaints. It did hurt a little; he recalled all the Selene's Sky Pies he had eaten the night before.

'Better watch out, Harry,' were Ron Weasley's words. 'Those Pies are mental. They taste all right, no doubt, but the dreams they give you when you eat too many ...!'

Harry chuckled again. 'You weren't wrong, mate.'

Yawning and stretching, he climbed out of bed and stole to the curtained window. He parted the curtain an inch and looked out upon the misty grounds with its gnarled trees, pink traces outlining the horizon.

A pair of magpies were bickering in the garden. Honeysuckles and Flutterby Bushes swayed as the birds hopped about, chattering incessantly. None of them noticed a gnome's leathery, bald head popping up behind them. Even from where Harry stood, the malicious grin on the gnome's face was unmistakable - as was the way it hunched its neck like a tiger ready to pounce.

With a squeaky roar, it jumped up next to the magpies, flailing its little arms and laughing like a maniac amongst a flutter of flapping wings.

The gnome disappeared again into the thick turf, giggling contentedly, its potato-like head wobbling amid the blades of grass. The magpies flew off, crossing the lawn. They passed the garden's borders and slid above the meadow beyond, swooping low over a hedge. A testy cluster of Honking Daffodils sounded their trumpets after the birds - until a nearby buckthorn shrub smacked them into silence.

Harry smiled, remembering the irritable temperament of the Whomping Willow at Hogwarts.

He returned to his bed and lay down next to Ginny. Slow, soft breaths escaped her at a hypnotic pace; Harry closed his eyes.

A couple of minutes passed, his body growing heavier, and he rolled over on his side. Something small, hard and cold lay against his face. Harry sat up again, looking down at the pillow. Pressed into the soft down was a key.

Arching an eyebrow, Harry held the key up in the morning light. It was not much larger than his thumb, and golden. He looked over at Ginny, creasing his brow. 'Nope,' he mumbled, shaking his head. 'No way.' He clasped the key in his hand.

Ginny started moving on her side of the bed. She opened her eyes, squinting up at Harry.

'You're up early,' she muttered, caressing his arm.

Harry leaned in close to her. 'Yeah. Umm - I'll be going to Hogwarts in a few minutes. Some business to attend to.'

'Some business?' said Ginny, smiling.

'Er - yes. You know how it is.' He gave a little cough and looked away.

'Do I ever,' she said in an amused tone, kissed him on the forehead and went back to sleep.

*

Harry Apparated just outside the Hogwarts Castle grounds. The ancient towers ripped like black spears through the sky.

Inside, a scattering of students was drifting in the Entrance Hall, frowning at their schedules. On his way through the school, a few wayward pupils shot Harry admiring looks and giggled into their hands, but he was otherwise left alone.