Chapter 4

Steve started protesting the second he woke up. I tried calming him but he didn't listen. When we got there the kids just ignored all of his protests. He smacked some things out of Dustin's hands. "We are NOT doing this ok? Do I make myself clear?" He asked. They continued setting up and I just stared sympathetically at him.

"Why didn't you stop them?" He asked, clearly annoyed. "I'm sorry? What was I supposed to do against a bunch of children. You were passed out what was I supposed to do." I rolled my eyes. He huffed and went to now helping the children. Maybe this is why Mom says Nancy is better than me.

-

"We should go.. this way." Mike said while looking at the map. "Are you sure?" Dustin asked. "Yes." Mike assured him. "Like 100% sure?" Dustin pushed. "Yes! Like 99% sure." Mike huffed. "Woah, hey, hey, hey. I'm leading the way from now on. Any of you little shits die down here me or Y/n are getting the blame." Steve snatched the map from Mike and continued walking.

At some point dustin trailed behind and we heard him scream. Steve rushed to the front but when he noticed he was fine he got pissy. "Seriously man?" He said before walking away. I helped Dusting up and we kept walking.

-

There was gasoline everywhere. It smelt strangely good. We all backed up and Steve threw the lighter. We started running to the rope. Steve was in front with the kids trailing behind and I was at the very back. Mike fell and vines started trapping him. "STEVE!" I yelled. He immediately turned around. The kids surrounded Mike. "Back up!" Steve yelled. He swung his bat at the vines and Mike got up as soon as possible.

-

We made it to the rope and everything was going fine until it was my turn up. The demodogs were running straight at us. I clung to Steve. He had his back turned to them, probably in some hope to protect me, and was holding me close. We noticed they were running straight past us. I looked at Steve. "Eleven." I said. Once they past I climbed up. Steve was up right after me.

The car lights were getting brighter. I had to turn away.

"You know it seems like you've improved since dating my sister." I laughed. Steve turned to me. "What's that supposed to mean?" He asked. We got in the front of the car and the kids crammed in the back. "I mean you aren't too much of a douchebag anymore. Nothing to do with my sister though. I mean she's perfect." I said bitterly.

Steve didn't say anything. I could see Mikes confused face in the rear view mirror but I ignored it.

-

It's been two months and the lab was shut down. Will has been okay and El is having a normal life.

Everyone was getting ready for the snowball, a dance for the middle schoolers, so I was helping Steve help Dustin. Don't get me wrong Steve is attractive and knows his stuff but his advice... I didn't want him to ruin Dustin's night with crappy advice. I convinced Steve to chaperone the dance with me. Nancy was gonna be by the drinks, Jonathan would take pictures, Steve and I would just watch over the kids.

Once Dustin was ready we made our way to the dance. I noticed Billy's car driving out of the school. Max must be here already. Steve gave Dustin a little pep talk and we all got out of the car. Dustin walked in before us and when we did get in Steve's attention was immediately drawn to Nancy. I elbowed him. "Take a picture, it'll last longer dingus." I rolled my eyes.

He snapped back into reality and stood somewhere he could watch the boys, specifically Dustin, and I followed him. Dustin went off to ask girls to dance. They all said no. I felt so bad for him. I'm not super cool or anything like Nancy is so maybe this could be a moment for me with one of the kids. I was about to go to him when Nancy walked over to him. I scoffed and leaned back. Steve, who was focusing on eating food, looked at me confused with a mouthful of food. He kinda looked like a chipmunk. "What?" He asked, it sounded very muffled.

"Nothing. We should just go home and come back later. I mean Nancy has it under control. She's perfect little Nancy!" I ranted. Steve stared at me like something was wrong with me. "Jeez what do you have against Nancy." He laughed.

-

The night finally ended and we took Dustin home. I didn't eat dinner there and Steve was still hungry so we stopped at a KFC on the way to my house.

"Thanks for paying Steve." I smiled at him. "No problem. I used to.. never mind." My smile fell. "Finish your sentence." I told him. "I was gonna say I used to do this with Nancy but-" I cut him off. "Just take me home Steve." I rolled my eyes. I did tell him to finish the sentence but that doesn't mean I can't be hurt about that.

When we got home a thanked him for driving me and all of that stuff then went inside. Nancy stopped me. "Was that.. Steve?" She asked sounding kind of offended. "Yep." I said nonchalantly before walking past her and smiling. I know just how to irritate her.
-
929 words. Sorry this was so delayed I just have a lot going on right now.