Chapter 5

The next morning I called Steve.

"Hello?" He answered groggily.

"Heyy Steve. Can you come over to my house the party wants to hang out and I don't want to watch them by myself." I lied.

I heard him groan. "Fine. What time?" He asked.

"30 minutes. Don't be late." I told him before hanging up. I called the party and told them all to come over.

-

I was in the kitchen with Steve when I saw Nancy walking down the stairs. She was making her way to the kitchen. Ignoring my severe anxiety I kissed Steve. I made sure to stay long enough that Nancy would see. I turned back to the snacks we were getting then looked at the doorway. Nancy was standing there completely frozen. "Oh, hey Nance." I said before picking up the snacks and going to the kitchen.

Steve and Nancy gave each other equally confused faces.

-

Steve came down to the basement with whatever drinks he picked out and set them on the table. He sat next to me. "So are we gonna talk about what just happened..?" He whispered. I pretended like I didn't know what he was talking about. "What just happened?" He gave me a look. "You know what I'm talking about." He said seriously. "Nope." I said acting confused then focused on the kids again.

-

All the kids went home so it was just me and Steve in the kitchen. "So, are we gonna talk now?" He asked me. "'Bout what?" I said while eating some popcorn. "Why you kissed me." He answered. "Nah, I don't remember that. Sure you weren't dreaming?" I smiled.

He rolled his eyes. "Come on. Be serious." He told me. "If I'm being honest, I wanted to make Nancy jealous. I-" Steve cut me off. "That's great. I'm going home now." He said with a disappointed face. "I'm sorry, Steve." I mumbled. He forced a smile and walked out. "Fuck." I sighed.

"Why are you so mad at Nancy?" Mike asked. I hadn't even seen him walk in. "What do you mean? I'm not mad at Nancy." I tried shrugging it off. "I'm not an idiot. You're obviously mad at her for something." He was really trying to piece something together. "Well nosy, ask Mom. Maybe she'll be honest with you." I fake smiled and walked out.

Mike went back upstairs while I went to the living room. Dad was watching TV as per usual so I just sat down and watched whatever was on. I decided to just go back to my room since I had a TV that I paid for in there. Nancy was sitting in my room, mindlessly writing in a journal. "Yes?" I said immediately assuming she wanted something. "Can I talk to you about something?" She asked. I sighed. "Look, if it's about Steve that was nothing." I rolled my eyes. "No. It's about something else." My face changed to a confused look. "Then what?" I asked.

"Why have you been so rude and distant to me?" She asked. I laughed. It wasn't a 'oh this is funny' laugh it was a 'oh have you never heard what our parents say to me?' Laugh. "Have you never heard Mom?" I asked rhetorically. She looked down. "Nancy this. Nancy that. Be more like Nancy. We're disappointed in you. You need to be like Nancy. Do I need to continue?"

She shook her head. "That's not my fault though!" She exclaimed. "That's my problem how? I mean I've never done anything to deserve how our parents treat me but I'm not confronting them about it." I grabbed my keys from off the counter and stormed out of the house. I drove for a while pretty much just circling town. I stopped at a house. When I realized who's house it was I panicked. I couldn't see him yet.
-
647 words. Ok I'm sorry this is so much shorter than normal but I'm so unmotivated 😭 I'm starting another story but only because I'm hoping if I start another thing that I enjoy I'll get some more motivation so yea. The schedules gonna be different every week. I'll probably work on one thing per week because I'll have 5 books so I'll try not to overload everything.