xxiii. Let Fourth Year Commence!

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

chapter twenty-three | let fourth year commence!

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

THE QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP disaster seemed to be the talk of the rest of the summer — Maddie's mother and practically the rest of her family all wanted to know every detail of what had happened from her, Lee and their father.

Luckily, the Jordans' Dad had found them not long after they had returned to the Weasleys' tent, after retrieving their belongings when their tent had been set aflame in their absence. Thankfully, nothing valuable had been damaged, and Mr Weasley had offered for the Jordans to sleep with them until they travelled back home.

It wasn't just her family, either, that wanted to know everything that happened — both Jake and Jess interrogated Maddie as soon as they reunited with her on the Hogwarts Express ready to start their fourth year.

"So you're saying a House Elf conjured the Dark Mark?" Jake asked, once again, wearing a very confused frown.

"I don't know!" said Maddie. "That's what all the Ministry were saying, but to be honest, I don't buy it. Like I said, the person who we heard said the incantation had a much deeper voice. They probably just framed the elf,"

"And you told them this?"

"Yes!"

"And did they believe you?"

"Did they fuck! It was probably easier for them to put the blame on the elf, even if it did make Mr Crouch look like a twat,"

It was then the compartment door slid open, with three familiar faces appearing behind it.

One was Sadie Vixen, grinning from ear to ear and currently wearing an Irish Quidditch shirt alongside her blue denim jeans. The other two were Chad Lynx and Marianne Shipman — both pleased to see their friends, once again.

"All the other compartments are full, so you're stuck with us, again," Chad greeted the trio, sitting down.

This was a usual tradition, when heading to Hogwarts. Obviously there were only so many compartments for so many students, and so the two groups of three often squeezed into one. Maddie enjoyed this, though. She'd often see Jake and Jess over the holidays, as they were her closest friends, but other than that it had been an entire summer without speaking to the rest — it was nice to have a catch up and a laugh.

"I knew you'd be buzzing!" Maddie grinned at Sadie, nodding towards her Ireland shirt.

"I can't believe you got tickets and I didn't!" Sadie responded, sitting down opposite her next to Jake. "It's my country!"

"Best believe she had us over to listen to it on the radio, though," Marianne said. "Mind you, that was probably the better option, especially with... what happened after..."