iv. Sweet Sabotage

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

chapter four | sweet sabotage

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

"AND, WE ARE BACK!" Maddie greeted with a smile, dragging her stool out and sitting down at her Potions desk.

Ron's face flickered with surprise at the girl's casual, friendly demeanour. Maddie only assumed he expected her to get angry or be somewhat passive aggressive, after overhearing his complaint about her.

But, in her own opinion, Maddie didn't have the energy to be angry all the time - she just saw it as a waste. The girl always figured that, if something or someone pisses you off in the moment, speak up, move on, and stop dwindling on everything - just have a laugh, and that, instead. That's a much better way of living than Snape's default ill-tempered state. He could learn a lesson, or two, from her, she reckoned.

"Nice to see you too," Maddie continued, after Ron stayed silent, avoiding eye contact. He was going to be a tough cookie to crack, this one.

Oh yeah, and Malfoy returned to his lessons, today, acting like he'd just fought a heroic battle.

"How is it, Draco?" simpered Pansy. "Does it hurt much?"

"Yeah," he replied, attempting some brave sort of grimace, before turning to Crabbe and Goyle and winking. Diana, a few seats down, rolled her eyes.

"Eurgh," Maddie pulled a face. "You know when the cringe hurts? It hurts,"

"Hm," Ron replied. He didn't want to warm up to her too quick, after what happened last lesson. He was still supposed to hate her.

Emphasis on 'supposed to'.

But his dislike for Maddie would soon be nothing compared to his antipathy for Malfoy, as he set up his cauldron next to the pair, which meant they unfortunately had to share ingredients with him.

Maddie wasn't sure if Malfoy had seen Ron and forgotten Harry wasn't next to him, and so thought it would be fun to torment the two - he flashed with confusion when he looked up from his cauldron and saw Maddie paired up with the Weasley boy, and then a face of realisation followed. Still, he stayed put. They were making a new potion today - a Shrinking Solution.

"I might just put my cauldron in front of his stupid arm and blow it up on purpose, today," Maddie muttered to Ron, giving Malfoy a scowl. They didn't have to work in pairs today, they were to use their own cauldrons - much to Ron's relief.