Chapter 1

I walk through the open gate and smile at the large truck sitting there. I look around and frown at the lack of people. I hear a loud laugh and look up. I can vaguely make out people on the balcony and quickly jog over. I bound up the stairs and smile uneasily at the people sitting around a table. "Cmon Cap. Give us something," I clear my throat slightly. 

I smile at the group now staring at me. "Hi! I'm Lillith. I'm your new..."

"Probie!" A tall blonde guy shouts. I blink in confusion and look around. Several of them nod in understanding and I raise an eyebrow and smirk at him. 

"Scuse me?" I drawl. Guess I did pick something up from Texas.

"You're the new Probie right?" The guy says with a grin. 

"You're not Captain Nash I take it," the guy blinks in confusion and frowns.

"No..."

"I am'" a tall man stands up with a warm smile. "Although you can call me Bobby,"

"Noted," I smile back.  "Where do you need me, Cap?" 

"Go ahead and change then you can join us for dinner," Bobby moves a chair over and my smile widens. "Let me introduce the group,"

"The loud one is Buck," Bobby points at the blonde guy who frowns in response. Everyone else laughs and Buck cracks a small smile. "That's Hen and Chimney. And over there is Lucy Donato," Lucy smiles at me and Buck frowns slightly. I raise an eyebrow again but before I can ask the alarm goes off. We all beeline for the truck. I raise an eyebrow as Hen and Chimney climb into the ambulance. 

"We're all one team here. It's slightly different from Texas," Cap says quietly as he passes. I nod and climb into the truck with the rest of the group. Buck grins at me as we pull up to the location. We all hop out and there is a lack of anything as we walk up to the house. A lady comes bursting out the door and frowns at us. "What are you doing on my property?" She shouts. 

"LAFD ma'am, we got a call saying that you need help?" Bobby says calmly. The lady glares at us distrustfully and shakes her head.

"I didn't call anybody!" She shouts. A young boy peek his head out the door and I glare at the large bruise on his face. I push past Bobby and crouch next to the boy. 

"Hi, I'm Lillith. What's your name?" The little boy peeks his head out further and he frowns at me. 

"Mark," He says quietly. 

"Mark, did you call 911?" I ask matching his tone.  He nods again and holds up the phone. "Can you tell me why you called 911?"

"Daddy came home... He hit Mommy and me," The boy whispers. I turn and glare at the mother for a second before turning back to Mark. 

"Ok, Mark. Where's Daddy now?" I ask. 

"Mommy hit him with a bat. He's laying in the living room. Mrs. Lillith... I don't think he's alive," Mark says quietly. I glance up at Cap who is already directing Chimney and Buck inside. I start to follow but Mark grabs my Ieg. "Can you stay with me?" Mark asks. I glance at Cap again.  He nods and I guide Mark over to Hen. 

"Alright I'll stay but can you let her check you out? Just to make sure you're OK, deal?" Mark nods quietly and Hen crouches and starts to check him out. He clearly has a concussion and he has a broken rib.

"Alright Mark," Hen says quietly. "You have a concussion and a broken rib so we are going to take a ride in the ambulance to the hospital ok?" Mark looks at me, nervous and I nod. He quietly goes with Hen and I turn around in time for Chimney and Buck to run out with a gurney. A man is laying on it with a large wrap covering half his face. 

"She got him pretty good, didn't she?" I mutter. Buck looks at me and frowns at the man. 

"Yeah, actually she did," We both frown as Mark climbs into a separate ambulance from his father with his mother. A few minutes later a police officer shows up. Buck smiles widely and bounds over to her. "Athena!" Buck shouts.

"Hey Buck, care to explain what happened here?" The woman asks with a frown. She removes her sunglasses and waves them around. "It isn't looking too good from where I'm standing," She glances at me and raises an eyebrow but doesn't comment.

"Thena!" Bobby shouts. The lady whose name I'm starting to realize is Athena smiles widely at Bobby and she gives him a quick kiss. My eyebrows skyrocket and Chim comes up beside me.

"They're married," He says. I nod in understanding and keep quiet watching as Bobby explains what happened. Athena frowns and nods.

"I'll take care of it," Athena grunts before turning to me. "You are?" She asks pulling her phone out.

"Lillith?" I turn to Chim who is smirking. "What is she doing?"

"Background check!" Buck exclaims cheerfully. I blink in confusion.

"Didn't the LAFD already do that?" I ask. Buck nods and Athena grunts again.

"Last name?" She asks.

"Walker," I grunt back. Athena looks up and raises her eyebrows at me.

"Ashamed of that name?" She asks.

"I have a complicated relationship with it," I reply with a shrug. Athena must like whatever she finds because she grins at me.

"I think you'll fit right in," She says before turning to her car. I look around in confusion only to find everyone smiling at me.

"I think that's the fastest she's warmed up to someone," Lucy mutters. "She doesn't even like me very much," Lucy groans as we all climb into the truck.