Illegal

Danny's POV,

I was barely able to reach the door
My head was throbbing like shit. Hate to admit it, but the guy almost killed me with that last blow. My whole body was aching like hell.

Man, I want to kill the version of me who got into that fight.

I was feeling very pathetic. First I got into a fight to save a girl I met half an hour ago, then I got my ass beaten so bad, and now here I'm, moaning in pain.

It was dark, only the lamp on the front porch and the room on the second floor was lit. I tried remembering whose room was, but I couldn't.

I was about to ring the doorbell but then I noticed that the door was already slightly ajar. Normally that would have been weird, but my cheek was busted from the inside, and my head was killing me, but luckily I wasn't bleeding from anywhere. At least from the outside. So, considering that as an excuse I pulled the door open and decided to tiptoe inside.

Mrs. Crawford did tell me to consider this to be my second home.

I was headed upstairs to Reece's room which was just beside his father's bedroom. And that is how I remembered that the room with its light on belonged to his father.

Just as I was about to enter Reece's room, I heard a very familiar voice from the other room. The voice made me stop in my track. The voice also made me forget completely about the palpitation of my head or the intense pain in my cheek. It was an eerie feeling, I was very alert and yet my head felt light as a feather.

I knew at that moment that I was never here... I never entered this house, I never heard any voices, I booked a room in a motel owned by my uncle which is a block away from the bar where I got beaten. So it was reasonable that I would head straight toward the motel instead of taking a cab to my friend's house who lives comparatively far. I mean, it would be extremely stupid to limp my way inside someone's house without knocking.

So that's what I did -- I lied.

After spending the night at my uncle's motel I picked up my bike from where I left it and went back to my house. I already had breakfast at the motel so I went up to my room. I was about to throw my clothes in the laundry basket but decided against it. There were blood stains on the shirt, I didn't want to freak out mom. She wouldn't like the idea of me fighting, no matter what the reason was.

She is lovely but too sentimental.

There was a time when I used to think women are some delicate creatures who cannot harm anyone... like angels from mythologies who just play around, prank people a little bit, yet inflict no harm real harm. I used to think women add tenderness, elegance, and joy to life. As a mother, a lover, and as a wife, they only add positivity. Maybe, it was because of my mother --who is all of these things-- that I love and looked at all women the same way. Or maybe it was my ignorance that led me to believe that women are so weak they can't possibly harm you in any way.

As the water from the shower head poured down my head I could feel something shift in me, it feels as if a belief that I was holding on for so long is a Miraj, a fantasy I have created in my head, And it felt depressing.
What if -- women are dangerous...what if they are so subtle and sweet looking, that no one could tell whether the dainty thing in front of them is as mellow as it appears or if it's as sharp as a knife?

After that day, the universe made it its mission to give me the answer.

------------------

Reece's pov,

I had been invited to an early dinner at the Andersons since I was taking Cara to the Music Center in downtown Los Angeles to see a visiting Bolshoi troupe perform Tchaikovsky's sleeping beauty.