CHAPTER 29

Divya's pov

Two months had gone by in a blink of the eye. Last month I had arrived at Mumbai to start another phase of my life.

I had vowed to never come back to this place after leaving my parents side. But I went back on my promise for the sake of being with Rohan. Unexpectedly he chose to establish his business in this city.

I did not felt pressured or suffocated this time because I had already went through it when I had come here for my internship. I think I am slowly coming to terms with my past.

Like I had planned I started to work in the company I chose for myself. Riya decided to follow me to Mumbai at the last minute.

She had wanted to go to Hyderabad to work in her dream enterprise but then something happened in her family making her run far away from home. She had wanted to go to Delhi to hide but then I persuaded her to come to me. Her mother calmed down when they learned she was with me.

We settled down in the city in less time. She went in for the interview along with me and surprisingly we both got selected. So we got into a new routine that is going to work together from now on.

It was nice to have her with me. I liked the company she provided. Her cheerful disposition often lifted my mood and stopped me from thinking about someone.

I was nervous when I stepped on the city. I didn't know how I should face him after that night. But when I got here I learned that he had gone on some business trip. Don't know when he would be back. At first I felt relieved but then I also felt sad. It was true that I missed him but I feel nervous whenever the thought of coming to face to face with him croses my mind.

I heard my phone ring breaking me out of my thoughts. I stood up from the couch to reach for my phone lying on the bed stand. I looked at the name of the caller, the name brought a smile to my lips. I answered the phone, " hello," but I did not expect to be greeted with sobs.

"Indu, are you okay. What happened, is something wrong, tell me." I asked her anxiously, my previous good mood went downhill. It broke my heart to hear her cries.

"Didi, I- I was scrolling through the phone reading celebrity gossip and then I-I saw D-dad, it said h- he has another child. Didi, did he forget us." I heard her sobbing and trying to speak out the words with great difficulty. Hearing the reason for her sadness I calmed down. Once again a smile played on my lips but this time it was devoid of any warmth.

"Indu, haven't I told you before not to think of them. They are just two strangers. Don't call me again to speak about them." I told her, my voice came out colder than I expected. I didn't want to be rude to my sister but her obsession with our parents pisses me off. I could never understand her, how could she still yearn for them who had thrown us out of their lives.

"I am sorry didi, I called the wrong person." Saying that she ended the call. She sounded angry, though I felt bad I could do nothing. She should have known she will not expect me to have same view point with her regarding this matter.

But still she is my sister I can't slight her just because we don't agree. I dailed my aunt and waited for her to pick up the phone. "Hello," the voice that answered wasn't my aunt. "Uncle, where is aunty." I asked him. "She just went out, why is it something important." He answered.

"When will she return," I asked him again. "I don't know ,she went to one of her friends' houses and you know what will happen when she goes to visit one." He said laughing remembering the antics of his wife. "Uncle can you check up on Indu." I asked him slowly. "Why, what happened to her." Uncle sounded anxious.

"It's nothing serious she came across one of the articles regarding dad." I told him sighing tiredly. "It's okay, I will take care of her. Don't be stressed, okay." He said in a sympathetic tone.

After ending the call I went to the bed and lied down.

🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀

Vinod placed his wife's phone on the place she left it after the conversation with Divya. He sighed, no matter how he and his wife had tried to make the girls happy, their past remained as thorn.

Both the sisters had come up with their own ways of coping with the past. One sister does so with hate and other lives in an illusion she had created. Vinod felt himself becoming helpless. He didn't know how to bring them out their scarred past.

He stood outside Indu's room and knocked twice. She and Roshan had come back home two weeks ago. At that time the house was once again filled with noise. These two were at each other's throat and their childishness had warmed their hearts.

It looked like the door would not open. So he turned to leave but then he heard the lock turning. He looked to see Indu standing there with the door open and with a fake smile on her face. She was trying to look normal but he caught on.

Indu realised her uncle understood her and she no longer tried to put on a strong front. "Did Divya di call you." She asked him. He nodded and held his hand out. Indu immediately ran into his arms. "I am sorry for being such a brat." She said in between her sobs. Vinod did not say anything he patted her head and heard her out.

When he realised she had calmed down, he held arms, "Indu if something bothers you again come find us. We will be there for you." She weakly nodded her head. "Uncle I am going to go and freshen up." She said and Vinod nodded his head. She went inside her room and closed the door. Vinod thought he should tell his wife to look out for her more. Making a decision he went back to his room.

By the time Rooba came back Indu was back to herself. Vinod filled his wife on what happened. Rooba felt her heart break for the girls, she had always tried to give them more love than her own children. She never wanted them to feel lonely and never wished for them to feel that they weren't loved. Yet she could never replace the wounds left by their parents.

Rooba went to the kitchen and instructed the chef to make favourite dishes of Indu. She did not go directly to Indu because she believed she needed her space now. But she will talk to her sometime later.

Roshan had been partying outside with his friends and when he returned it was dinner time. Both his parents were on the dining table waiting for Indu to come down. He went and took a seat beside his mother. He was so hungry and didn't wait for anyone and reached for the food but his mother swatted away his hand.

"Not now." He got glared on by his mother. "What's wrong, I am hungry mom." He whined at his mother. "You can eat after Indu comes down." Vinod warned his son to behave. Roshan did not understand what was going on. But before he could ponder deep Indu came down and took a seat that was near to Vinod.

"See she came, now I can eat." He asked not wanting to be hit by his mother again. Rooba ignored him, "Indu I have made the kitchen prepare your favourite dishes. Here have it and tell me if it is to your liking." She served the dishes onto her plate. Vinod too urged her to eat.

Roshan gaped at the scene before him. Everyone acted like he did not exist. "Mom!" He whined loudly but closed his mouth the moment his father glared at him. He looked at Indu who hadn't started to eat yet. "Indu, for god's sake start digging in, others are starving here." Seeing that it was useless talking to his parents, he said whining angrily at her.

Though he got glared on by both his parents he did not mind and looked at her expectantly. She laughed at him and started to savour the dishes before her. Rooba served food for her son as a reward for lifting her mood. He did not pay attention to anything after that started gobling down the food.

"Tsk tsk, eat slowly. Nobody is gonna snach your food." He got mocked on by his father but he did not pay attention. His goal at the moment was to fill his stomach. Rooba laughed at his antics.
Indu finally forgot all grievances and joined in with her uncle to mock her cousin.

I am really sorry for the delay. I got caught up with my assignments and the exams. I will try my best to make the updates regular.