Chapter 32: Contribution (I)

Day 29of the Fourth Month, Year 1016 - morning

Dustor Military Base, Dustor City

WHEN the daily assembly was adjourned, Dev's mind quickly went back into focus. The war was in front of his eyes, and despite the fact that he did actually want to get merit and retire honorably—and comfortably—he was never the type to do things in half. Especially in war, when he could die anytime, with the weight of the whole company upon his shoulder. There were a few soldiers that he couldn't use in the coming battle... They didn't recover as well as Doctor Wentworth expected. The antidote worked, for the most part, but a few were still too agitated to go to war.

Despite all that, his company was still able to take part, of which he was thankful—he would be of some use. He started walking to his own office, eager to start combing through his soldiers' profile, when someone called his name. "Major Andres, please stay," said the low, booming voice.

Dev stiffened when he heard General Adefine's voice, then he turned back. "General."

"Please, follow me."

The temporary office of the General of the Army—originally it was Lieutenant General Gale's office—was tidy and neat, with practicality written all over. General Adefine welcomed him to take a seat as he himself took place behind the desk. "Good work on escorting the Princess," the General began as he sat down.

Dev inclined his head respectfully, preventing himself from wincing. He should've brought the Princess back to the Palace right away, but what she did was important to the Kingdom too, after all. "It's what I'm supposed to do."

"Then you should know what happened along with Her Highness? I heard from Corps General Harvey that you were also there in their base?"

Ah, the Crimson Corps. That was what this was all about. Indeed, the Corps had arrived a few days ago and helped them fending off Lirsk's attack. They managed to hold Dustor City for now.

Dev nodded. "Yes, we were attacked by an army of two hundred."

The General's face grew complicated. "Do you know where they were from?"

Dev shook his head. "There was no indication of any identity on their armors. I sent a scout in Her Highness' stead, but I have no idea whether she or General Harvey had gotten him back."

"Yes, that's troublesome. If they had, I haven't gotten any news from them. Two hundred sounds few, but it is still a force," the General sighed. "And they were attacking the Crimson Corps. Would it be an overcautiousness to expect them to attack us here?"

Dev was startled. If they went to attack the city, with it being sandwiched by two forces... He couldn't imagine the consequences. He stared at General Adefine carefully, but found no sign of anxiety on the older man's face, which made him calm down as well.

"What do you think, Major?"

"They would attack..." He fell silent, because he remembered that the way anyone could reach here was to go through the City of Liath first.

Then—

"They would attack Liath!" He lifted his head in surprise.

"Yes." The General nodded. "Only two hundred, so I don't think we should be that worried... But I still think while it is still not confirmed, it is better to take it slow and not cause panic. Though, I think you should go to Liath since you already know."

Dev observed Adefine before nodding. "Of course, General."

"Bring your company as well. We need to secure and defend the city." The General looked at him seriously. "We cannot lose Liath no matter what, you get me?"