Onwards into the Night

"Alright! I think that's enough for today, young master! Let's continue this tomorrow," Hans said with a big smile on his face. A bright and cheery mood surrounded him. A contrast to Ainsley's gloomy one. Hans took notice by the time he entered the young male's room. At first, Hans thought that Ainsley had a nightmare last night. Or it's because how Ainsley's room is much colder than usual. Whatever it may be, Hans is determined to cheer the young boy up.

Looping two fingers around his chin, Hans wondered what would cheer the young male. There aren't many that he can do due to his schedule. And the servants are watching him. Hans isn't sure why or if it's because they're worried that he might kidnap the child—well, it's not like it hasn't crossed his mind before. It would be better to whisk the child away from this child and move to another country. Hans doubts that the duke is willing to follow them to another country to take back the child.

"Hans..." Feeling a tug at the hems of his uniform, Hans glanced down. Seeing the child crunching up the end of his uniform in his tiny fists. Ainsley was right around his hips. If it weren't for Hans giving him (referring to Ainsley) snacks and often, nutritious meals, the child would be tinier than he is. Perchance, a bit below the hips? Or somewhere around Hans' inner thighs. That's dreadful if Hans were to imagine Ainsley to be so short.

Leaning down, "Is something wrong, young master?" Hans asked. The distance between him and the child is not as large as it was once. Before, a month prior, Hans has to distance himself more than an arm's length. Taking a step further will only make the child take a step back. Hans knew the child was afraid. But not sure of what. Adults? Or afraid of people that aren't him (not referring to Hans but the child).

"There's a library, right? Am I allowed to go there?" Ainsley did the best he can to pout. Furrowing his brows and pressing his lips together. The grip he had on Hans' shirt grew tighter. He rubbed his eyes not too long ago, so his eyes are more watery than usual. Thinking that wasn't enough, Ainsley also pinched his cheeks to get a bit of a flush on his face. The young male isn't sure if that'll work or not but Ainsley prays that it does. If not, Ainsley hopes he'll die early and go back to his old life.

Hans moved his gaze away from Ainsley. Not wanting to tell Ainsley isn't allowed to go there. The only place where he(A) is only allowed to explore is this room and the hall. Other than those places, Ainsley is strictly forbidden to set foot. Hans isn't entirely sure about that. Perhaps he's resentful towards the duke since Neil can freely go wherever he likes and Ainsley can't. "Hans... Can't I go there only once?" Well... Hans won't get in trouble if it's only once, right? And the library is not as far as it seems to be. Turn right to where the stair case is and enter the third room as soon you enter a hall, there you will arrive at the library. Additionally, there aren't many servants who would go to the library other than clean. Not many are well-versed in literature and more are not able to read. Hans is one of the lucky commoners who is literate.

"If... if young master insists, then we can go—but we can only go there this night and only at this night! Many are... well, they don't know how to take care of a young master." Hans wanted to sigh in relief. He almost slipped out that he's the only one who cares about him. Ainsley smiled brightly. He didn't think that this plan would work. He already planned another one just in case Hans would reject him. Who knew Hans is weak to children? If Ainsley knew earlier then he would've done this a long time ago. If his father is a duke then that must mean that their library is probably humungous, right? The duke should have enough history books and how-to-use magic books included. Ainsley can only hope that the duke won't mind if he borrows one or two. After that Hans left after Ainsley persuaded him, the young male was giddy enough to add a skip in his steps.

He finally moved to the first step of his plan to get out of this hellhole; that is to find a way inside the library. After that, memorize the way and study. With this, he might be able to get some prestigious school and graduate there (preferably at the top of the class) and cut ties with his family. Ainsley is debating where to take Hans with him or not. At first, Ainsley decided against it. He's not sure what's going to happen in the future. There's a chance of Hans betraying him. But what's worse is the small voice in Ainsley's head telling him that Hans is no bad guy. That he'll never betray Ainsley even if he sides with the bad guys. But who are the bad guys? The ducal family or the nobles in general? Whoever those bad guys are, Ainsley doesn't want to associate with them. He doesn't even want to be in the same room as them.