Chapter 9

As soon as Ludo announced the beginning of the match, the thousands of spectators in the stands screamed and clapped, the discordant sounds of national anthems being added to the racket as thousands of flags were waved. Across from the Top Box, the last golden advertisement had been wiped clear from the blackboard, which now showed "BULGARIA: 0, IRELAND: 0"

"And now, without further ado, allow me to introduce.... The Bulgarian National Team Mascots!" Ludo Bagman's voice echoed across the stadium, as the right-hand side of the stands, which was a sold block of scarlet, roared its approval.

"Ah, veela..." Thomas said from behind Nate.

"What are veel-" Hermione began, although a hundred veela were now gliding onto the field, answering her question for her. The veela were women, but unlike any other natural woman. Simply by looking at them, it was clear they couldn't be human. Nate simply glanced at them and took in their appearance of white, moon-bright skin, with their white-gold hair fanning out behind them without wind. Yet, when the music started and they started to dance, Nate simply sat back in his chair and tuned them out. Yet, it seemed like he was the only one of the boys to do so, aside from the adults, as Hermione's voice made him focus.

"Harry, what are you doing?" Hermione said, right as the music stopped. Harry, on the other hand, was standing up, with one of his legs resting on the wall of the box, almost as if he had been planning on jumping into the stadium from the box. Next to Harry, Ron was also frozen in an attitude that looked as if he was about to dive from a springboard. Angry yells were filling the stadium now, as the crowd didn't want the veela to leave. Hermione made a loud tutting sound as she reached up and pulled back into his seat. "Honestly!" She said.

"And now," Roared Ludo Bagman's voice, "kindly put you wands in the air.... For the Irish National Team Mascots!"

The next moment, what seemed to be a great green-and-gold comet came zooming into the stadium. It did one circuit of the stadium, then split into two smaller comets, each hurtling towards the goal posts. A rainbow suddenly arced across the field, connecting both balls of light. The crowd oooohed and aaaahed, as though it were a fireworks display. Now, the rainbow faded and both balls of light reunited and merged, they had formed a great shimmering shamrock, which rose into the sky and began to soar over the stands, with something like golden rain falling from it. As he looked up at the glowing shamrock, Nate saw that it was actually comprised of thousands of tiny little bearded men with red vests, each on carrying a minute lantern of gold or green.

"Leprechauns!" Nate heard Mr Weasley exclaim over the tumultuous applause from the crowd, many of whom were fighting over the coins that had fallen from the comets.

Then, the great shamrock dissolved, with the leprechauns drifting down onto the field on the opposite side from the veela, as they settled themselves cross-legged to watch the match.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, kindly welcome.... The Bulgarian National Quidditch Team! I give you... Dimitrov! Ivanova! Zograf! Levski! Vulchanov! Volkov! Aaaaaaaaand Krum!" Bagman's voiced boomed out, with a loud round of applause following each name coming from the Bulgarian supporters. Nate simply watched as the scarlet robed players zoomed out onto the field from an entrance far below.

"And now, please greet... The Irish National Quidditch Team!" Bagman yelled again, his already magically enhanced voice even louder from the yelling. "Presenting... Connolly! Ryan! Troy! Mullet! Moran! Quigley! Aaaaaaand Lynch!" Nate applauded alongside his family, Luna, Hermione, Harry and the Weasleys, as well as all the Irish fans in the stadium, as the Irish team swept onto the field from another entrance down below. Nate zoomed in on each player using his Omnioculars, seeing "Firebolt" on each player's broomstick, and their name and number embroidered on silver on the backs of their emerald robes.