Chapter 6

Melissa

Melissa stared at the void at her feet—an absolute emptiness, like a large pool of tar or crude oil. It was dull and lifeless, devouring all the light from the chamber—a hole to the abyss.

Or heaven?

The light from the crystal chandeliers above twinkled like the distant stars in the sky in the dimness of the Chapel. Death and corruption lingered in the air, staining the surrounding stone, and tapestries were splattered with red human and black Daemon blood. The dead had been removed, but everything was as it was when Melissa had passed out.

Nearly died...as a human...

The crystal hanging on a delicate chain around her neck flared up in pink fire against her skin before dying again, reminding her that she was not alone. She briefly touched the jewel in reassurance.

She stared up at the untouched statue of Archangel Gabriel at the back of the dais. The soft, beautiful face smiled toward heaven, golden hair trailing behind. Melissa frowned at the sculpture, disliking the Holy Icon in full battle armour, Lucerna aloft, and the Lily sceptre of Gabriel in the other hand.

War must be avoided at all costs; love must be embraced, as in creation and reaction to all living things in the universe. She stared up at Gabriel's face.

Sister...we were close once, but you were the first to turn your back on me...I had no choice...you left me to Lucifer and his minions...sacrifice was the only gift I could give to the Holy Father and the universe; still, you all persecute and punish me...

Melissa paused as a soft but definite shuffle of feet to her right revealed her little stalker. A holy soldier had been shadowing her for days. As soon as she left her room in the tower, the sneaking individual watched and followed, always remaining in the shadows, careful not to expose themselves.

Melissa had been tempted many times to call them out, but in the end, she enjoyed their game of cat and mouse over the last two days. She smiled as the crystal throbbed against her chest. Melissa could have eluded the Monk at any time but always revealed herself for fun.

The House of Gabriel can be dull, especially when the Holy Council doesn't know what to do with you. She was sure they suspected or ignored who she was and what she represented. Enough prophecies were foreseeing her return; Father David still declined her requests to meet with the Holy Council.

What are they all afraid of...salvation?

She clucked her tongue in disgust, realising her hand was brushing the scar trail across her neck again, a clean pink line as ever you would see. All the healing of the best Monks from Raphael could not rid her of the raw line. Father David said it was like the skin was corrupted or dead and could not be revived. The natural healing of her true origin and holy aura link to heaven also did nothing.

The curse of Azrael...the death blade of the fourth kingdom...

Knowing that she was marked, she had requested Rebecca to get some dresses made with a high neck to hide the deformity, yet they were still to be delivered. Aimee had told her to wear it with pride and that she had won the day. This is a typical statement from Michael's Acolyte. They were always happy to show their battle scars like badges of honour.

She peered down at her flowery summer dress, feeling more like a child at a fair than a young woman in her prime. She would locate the High priestess of Uriel and chase up her dresses.

The sneaky feet shifted a little closer; Melissa grinned and pulled up her white dress to crouch down, leaning slightly into the abyss, staring into the black, searching for any sign of her beloved sister, Liana. The woman had never given up on her or her brother, and Melissa vowed never to give up on her. She would not, could not, believe she was dead. She kept telling herself that her sister was only lost and was making her way back to her.