The Dragon Tamers [24]

I laid on his bare chest listening to the sound of his breathing and heartbeat as I drifted into sweet slumber. His embrace calmed me, it was the only reprieve I had had in months. I released the tension in my body as I sunk into his, throwing my leg over his thighs. Ohhh sleep, I am ready.

FELUNA, AWAKEN! THERE ARE HUMAN ASSASSINS IN YOUR HOUSE!!

I jolted upright in bed, covering my naked body with the sheets. Beogin's shouting filled my head, he was telling me there were 3 of them downstairs.

How much time do I have?!

30 seconds at best

"Fenwir, assassins." My whispered as quietly as I could as I violently shook him awake. His body went rigid as as adrenaline rush filled his body, he rolled over and reached to his discarded clothes pulling two daggers from the pile. I fumbled blindly under the bed, reaching for my twin blades. He positioned himself behind the door, I crouched a metre behind him.

The black, hooded humans entered the room like shadows. Before they could registered the bed was empty we pounced. Fenwir took the man on the right, I lept for the human who had made it further into the room. He struck at me with thin knives, instincts took over as I ducked out of the way. He struck again, a diagonal slash to my torso. My right blade parried with little effort, I lunged towards him, slashing at his left arm. He cried in pain but never lost his balance. Ready to be done with this attacker, I struck with both blades in an X pattern, the man staggered back, knocking into the window sill.

Fenwir yelped in pain behind me, I turned my head towards him.

Before I had time to recollect myself my assassin threw a small something at my head, it whizzed past my ear, cleaving clumps of hair but missing my ear. It was just a distraction; another small knife flew towards me; this one did not miss.

Searing pain ebbed from the knife that embedded itself in the centre of my chest, square between my breasts.

My left arm went numb and dropped the blade it held. Did he hit my heart? They say your left arm is affected when your heart is injured.

My right arm flailed and stabbed randomly. The assassin stepped clear of it, mocking me, disarming me as I fell to my knees. The pain felt like a fire, spreading slowly but deliberately into my belly and neck. Blue blood stained my naked flesh, running down my body and pooling at my knees.

"Well well, looks like we got the right she elf." The assassin laughed as he swept up my blood with two fingers. "Time to remove your pretty little head, I ain't got no time to wait for you to die."

I looked to my right, Fenwir was gallantly fending off the last assassin, another lay dismembered, limbs strewn around the floor, human blood discolouring the wood. I don't know if those stains would come out without a little magical influence. My executioner stood above me, he gripped my hair with one hand, blade in the other. I could barely feel anything now, my eyes threatened to close shut for good, only white noise filled my ears.

FELUNA!!

My assassin was ripped away, out the window, from in front of me, my blurred vision could make out a dragon head smashing in through the window, snapping wildly at my killers.

I fell to the floor with a hard thunk. Fenwir's beautiful face came into view, grateful to see him one last time. I was not disillusioned, I knew I was at death's door step, blissfully unprepared to meet my maker.

"No! Feluna, you can't die. No! NO!" His voice sounded so far away, tears welled in his eyes.

"I love you." As death pulled me from this world.