𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏: 𝐓𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐬

Song: Drama by AJR

"Athena; Among the Greeks the virgin goddess of gentleness, wisdom, and art, and above all the protectress of Athens."

"Sam?"

"Sam?"

Two strong arms shook at mine making me groan and I turned over hoping to sleep some more.

Five more minutes.

"Miss Saint-Laurent," the soft-spoken voice came again, making me blink my eyes several times and met a hazy view, making out only a woman with a soft smile. "You need to get up."

What's wrong with my eyes?

I tried blinking several times and still met the fogginess.

Why couldn't I see?

A harsh laugh filled my ears making me freeze. 'You're mine.'

Panic began to set in, the air felt heavier and harder to breathe as my lids blinked rapidly in desperation for anything to let me out of the darkness.

"Can't...see."

"It's okay," the person said above me, her voice muted in the loud laugh. "You're fine, malyshka"

(Baby girl)

I gave a shake of my head again, but my panic had begun to ebb at her voice.

In the haze, I saw her give a nod and step away from me, then came back a few minutes later with something in her hands.

"Here."

I took it from her feeling the familiar object in my hands, struggling to pry open the cover and tipped my head up at the overhead lights that looked like bright blobs.

Prying two fingers into my eye with a hiss, I carefully used my nails to pinch and pull the film away from the socket.

"Better," I muttered looking down at the tiny contact that lay on my index finger, the sticky substance running down my flesh, completely clarifying my vision.

Proceeding to remove the second, I put it away and take the prescribed eye drop, blinking several times in the process before putting the kit away on my dresser and facing the person that aided me.

"Spasibo."

The old lady's light blue eyes crinkled at the corners behind her small glasses. "No need for that," she said sternly. Then her voice softened again. "You scared me for a second."

I looked down at my lap. "Sorry."

Ms Ivana has worked with us since I was a child, close to nine years.

Years ago, she moved from her home country six months after her husband died in a car accident. Not wanting to be idle despite having children and grandkids, but at the same time seeking a life outside her quiet one, she decided to keep working to keep herself busy and came here.