𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏: 𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

Song: Too Good at Goodbyes by Sam Smith

"Abaculus. (Arch.) A die or small tile made of stone, glass, or composition in imitation of stone, and used in mosaic pavements. The illustration represents a pavement at Herculaneum composed of abaculi."

How do I start?

How do I start?

Okay, once upon a time...

Nah, fuck it.

That was too easy.

With a sigh, I pushed my back against the bench I sat on, looking down at my lap.

This wasn't supposed to be hard. But I'd been here for more than thirty minutes, and had only gotten out two sentences.

How do writers do this? Sit for hours contemplating the perfect line to hook the reader, sucking them into their world of imagination?

I was better off surrounded by my canvases.

The specks of dried paint on my fingers flashed brightly against the grey keys on the laptop, unable to proceed further.

'You overthink too much.' My brother's voice floated into my head. 'You'll grow old before you hit twenty-one.'

Dingue.

(Crazy)

No one was going to see this anyway.

With a click of my teeth, my fingers moved again, motivated to get this along.

This wasn't just a story. It was a piece of me that I wanted to immortalize. And if no one but me saw it, that was okay.

It doesn't begin from the day I was born but yet the day that I died.

Or rather, realized that I had been dead for a while.

Maybe that's why I'm typing this out in a cemetery.

They are one of the few people I trust. Because they tell no tales and they love silence as much as I do.

So, it all began a few months ago...

My name is Sam Saint Laurent and this is my story.

🦋🦋🦋

"Allow me, Miss," a man in brown uniform said, reaching out for the bag in my hand.

My grip tightened. "That wouldn't be necessary," I said coldly.

The man's hand faltered at my tone, his dark eyes slightly widening.

"But miss-"

Men.

"This goes with me," I pressed on. "No objections."