𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕: 𝐇𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐞

Song: Reflection by Mulan

"Acrostolium. A sculptured ornament, generally in the shape of a volute, which sur-mounted the prow of ancient galleys."

I have watched a lot of spy shows

James Bond, Skyfall, Dr No, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy. To name a few.

And I used to imagine myself in those situations where they would be listening from a vent or the other side of the door, looking for intel that may save the world.

But, never in a thousand years, did I think that I will actually be stuck in a high school bathroom stall, perched on a toilet like a damn bird listening to three girls who may or not have plotted something for me.

"The one with Samantha Saint Laurent." Cassandra had said.

Their voices weren't muffled, so I was a bit relieved at that.

"You've met her?" A high-pitched voice, different from Cassandra asked in surprise.

A heavy sigh could be heard, with a "Yes, Katie."

"Well," the other girl asked, her voice showing her curiosity. "What was she like then?"

A hum reached my ears and a slow-paced tapping of nails followed on the marble counter.

"She was..." Cassandra broke off looking for the right word. "Underwhelming."

The fuck?

My jaw clenched tighter at the thought of this knowledge she had been looking for me. No doubt scouring the internet for what she could gather.

"Well, that's no good." the other girl said and a small smirk appeared on my lips. "What happened?"

My legs started to ache but I knew that if I moved off the seat and put my legs on the ground, I'd be done for.

So, pushing the discomfort aside, my mind urged my body to listen.

"She's intelligent, I give the little chit that. Extremely secretive and stubborn," Cassandra explained her voice level. "And she knows Gaelic."

"Whoa." That was Katie, I remember who sounded amazed. "I thought she was French," she inquired confused.

"Looks like she's multilingual," The other girl said, but I noted the hitch in her voice. "Impressive. But that still doesn't explain why she didn't accept your proposal, Siren."

Siren? Her nickname probably.

Once again, my legs began to shake uncomfortably, and I bit my lip to subdue the pain.

"Because Amelia," she gritted out. "There was an unusual factor in my plan," Cassandra confessed, with anger underlying her voice. "Someone interfered and unknown to me had a connection with Samantha."