𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗: 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐎𝐟 𝐌𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐜

Song: New York Soul pt I by Jon Bellion

"Adit. (Arch.) The entrance or approach to a building."

 The ball bounced on the ground repeatedly, the harshness of sound made my eyes follow each movement, committed to memory how the opponent who stood in front of me played

One,

He bounced it again, this time, his leg turned right, the screeching of his shoes reaching my ears and eyes narrowed.

Two.

The ball was held in both hands, then after a few seconds was bounced on the ground once more.

Three.

At that moment, he sprang forward with a glint in his eyes, throwing the ball in the air simultaneously that I went for, smacking it down with my hands successfully knocking it out of his hold.

"Shit!"

He cursed as I broke past him, snagging the ball and making my way off with it past the half-line, him hot on my heels.

My heart began to pound faster, the sound urging me on as I made it towards the hoop, the rhythm of the ball guiding me, eyes scanning my sides for any threat.

With an attack from an oncoming player from my left, I sidestepped easily rounding the player, then left him in the dust, the hoop in my sight.

And right when I was near, I did an alley-oop, throwing the ball with the utmost precision I could muster.

It sailed in the air, and my body descended towards the ground with my eyes still trained on it.

But when it reached its peak, inching towards the rim, it was smacked out of the air, followed by a whoop.

Then a whistle was blown, its harsh sound bringing me back to earth.

My jaw slacked in disbelief, seeing one of my perfect shots whacked out of the air like a balloon and crossed my eyes at the culprit.

The five-foot seven-player was jumping up and down, his hands waving wildly in the air like a buffoon, that he was.

"Yeah baby," he yelled. "Who's the man?" Then, he pointed to himself and began to do the floss. "I am, baby."

"Idiota". The curse came out of my lips harshly as my legs took me to the side-lines where my bag lay ready to leave.

{Idiot}

A slow clapping reached my ears causing me to falter in my steps and turn back to face our coach whose arms were crossed over his wide chest, his dark face unamused.

"You all played poorly today," he commented, voice full of disappointment. "Now, pack your bags and hit the showers, we'll see tomorrow."

When his back turned, some of my teammates started to grumble under their breath and I'm tempted to join them but hold back despite my aching muscles.