Chapter 4

When Olivia arrived home later that afternoon, she immediately started in on dinner for the two of us.

"How's Paul?" She asked, teasing me a little as I stood in the doorway of the kitchen. I'd offered her help but she never trusted anyone else in the kitchen.

"Good I think," I said, smiling a little at the mention of his name.

"You've got a crush," she said.

I nodded a little and she laughed at me some more.

"Dee, just be careful. He's known around town as a player and a hot head. I just don't want you getting hurt," she said.

"I'll protect my heart, don't worry about that."

"I saw the way he was looking at you Dee."

I turned to her wedding pictures. I knew it was the same way my uncle used to look at her. My aunt and uncle had been together since they were 15. They just got lucky like that somehow. They found each other early in life and were head over heels the whole time they knew one another. They got married shortly after high school and my aunt went to college and my uncle joined the Army. She was all set to move to his base with him when she got the call. He'd been in a car accident and they weren't sure he was going to make it. We were all devastated. He was the greatest thing to ever happen to my aunt Olivia.

I always told myself I'd settle for nothing less than the love my aunt and uncle had for one another. They were perfect together and I'd often dreamed about finding someone who looked at me like I was the only person in the world.

"He'd be proud of you, ya know," she said, catching where I was looking and interrupting my thoughts.

"What?"

"He loved you and always saw you as our adopted daughter. Every letter he wrote to me in basic training asked about you."

"He wrote to me too," I said. "The letters are still in my closet at home."

"I still have all of ours," she said. "He was so proud of you when he found out you wanted to be a mechanic."

"How could I not? Working all those hours in his car with him as a teenager," I said. My uncle had been a mechanic for the army, working on tanks and such. When I was about seven or eight he'd take me out to work on his car and teach me all about it.

"Your father never did like that you wanted to work on cars for a living," she said.

"We'll it's safer than racing them," I said because that had been my original plan. She laughed a bit as she finished up dinner and I set the table. We continued talking as we ate, reminiscing about my uncle and all the trouble he would help me get into.

After dinner, Olivia started in on some laundry and I cleaned the kitchen. I didn't mind helping out with the chores and such, especially since Olivia wouldn't let me help with the bills around here.

We sat down and watched some made for TV Lifetime movie together before heading separate ways. Olivia went to shower and I went to get stuff ready for job hunting the next day.