BORDERLINE

|| CHAPTER NINE ||

 Aahi jaata hai jispe dil aana hota hai

Har khushi har gham se begana hota hai

ARJUN HUMMED the lyrics, driving through the luscious, emerald green land, high mountains guarding all around with a sight of foggy clouds and cool breeze. That view and air could instantly relieve your stress and rejuvenate your mind and soul. Arjun and Sam owned the orange orchard in this village, quite away from the city area and then, aware of the evocative beauty of the remote place and unspoiled nature, they had decided to turn it into an ecological farm. It was still a work-in-progress. Arjun hadn't planned a visit today but there were some kitchen related issues and Nima came to the farm in the morning. Sam had dropped her before he went mountain biking with a family. Arjun had gone to the airport to drop Nikhil and his cousins off and decided to pick her up on his way back. Driving for hours, he hadn't taken a break and feeling the need to feed his stomach he reached for the glove box. Gayatri always made sure to stash some ready to eat and healthy, mostly homemade snacks to help him get through an extra-long drive. He opened the glove box and fetched out an energy bar, dates and brownie, his favorite option. Smiling as he was about to close the glove box when something caught his attention. It was a black scrunchie, he had found it wrapped around a water bottle the next day, after he returned from a trip to Siliguri. He remembered Nidhi untied her hair and wrapped the band around the bottle. Thinking about it brought an ingenuous smile on his face. Forgetting about the energy bar, he took a band, still one hand firm on the steering wheel, he twiddled the soft, silky object in his palm. Aware of the startling change in his emotions, he focused ahead on the road. After their quiet heated encounter, there hadn't been any conversation between them except that small exchange at dinner. He sighed remembering her expressions after the realization that she had challenged him again. He knew she wasn't doing it on purpose, but he had accused her and he was feeling guilty for saying such horrible things to her. He was wrong and now he should make it right. I am certainly not that type of woman. Those words hovered in his mind all night, she was certainly not a woman who would do any plotting. She was straightforward, outspoken maybe, whatever she wanted, she would voice it, honest and clear, no hidden agenda. She just had different life choices, and he wouldn't judge her for her choices. It's just that he had his own choices and he wouldn't compromise with that. He didn't mind being called an old school guy, when it's about a relationship he still believed in a traditional way. He would never go for a fling that definitely wouldn't last a lifetime. He wanted a real thing, not just physical but emotional intimacy, a life partner who would be on the same page as him. He wanted someone who would be there with him in all ups and downs of life, who would weather rough times and was never ever going to give up. He didn't have a problem with a working woman, but it's his choice to have someone who was more family oriented and he was not ashamed of his expectations. He was aware that ideals didn't exist, he just wished for someone who was going to understand his values, someone who wouldn't have problems with his lifestyle. Once he had trusted someone with all his dreams, put his heart on line and in return he had learned a lesson. Now he would never take that risk, he had learned to look deeper and be cautious. And he was trying to be cautious around Nidhi, she was strong, smart, it was fun to be with her but she didn't fit in the mold of his expectations. She was not interested in a relationship, she was going to leave soon and she had her life and plans, in the city, away from here. But the problem was even after knowing all these facts his mind did not seem to comprehend anything, it's like he wasn't sure of anything anymore, some unknown force had seized his ability to distinguish right and wrong. He was on the threshold of plunging deep and drowning himself. He cursed softly, taking hold of the steering wheel with both hands as the vehicle crossed the bridge over the river. Scrunchie still held in his palm tightly, and his mind full of thoughts, thoughts he couldn't get rid of, thoughts unsettling his concentration. He let out a breath, feeling the softness of the band for a moment before he put it back into the glove box. In the distance ahead, he could see the expanse of trees full with oranges, soaking in the winter sun. View of high mountains was always an essential part of his life and he never dreamed of a world beyond these mountains. No matter what Nidhi was making him feel, the reality of his expectations set the restriction, a borderline that he wouldn't take risk navigating.