chapter 7

25th September 2022

Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, New York

Robin spends a night at home. Natalia had insisted, telling Robin that they had already spent too much time with her and Robin ‘needed to get a life of their own.’ It was only after she threatened to call hospital security on Robin that they finally gave in and slept in their own bed at their shoddy old apartment.

            Robin stops at Barnes and Noble on the way to the hospital and picks up a copy of 'A cigarette lit backwards' (Robin knows she’s been waiting to read it and it was just released the 5 days before; Robin's honestly excited to see the expression on her face when she sees it).

            As they walk into the hospital, Robin heads over to her room, A113 only to stop as they hear voices coming from it.

            “Patient: Natalia Walker. Diagnosis: Leukemia, Stage Four. Time of Death: 08:14 25/09/22.” There is a long pause. “Such a pity. She was a sweet girl. Only twenty. Her birthday was next week.”

            Robin stumbles away from the door, the book falling from their fingers and their hand over their mouth. Robin turns and runs down hallways, through open doors, and down staircases. Robin bumps into nurses and doctors who ask them if they're all right but Robin keeps on running until they find a deserted hallway. Robin's back slides down the wall, their hands over their face as their breath catches in their throat.

            Time of death: 8:14

            It is 9:27.

            Robin wasn’t there. She had died and Robin wasn’t there.

            Robin feels their heart shatter in their chest and Robin feels the most intense pain they've ever felt in their entire life (they think perhaps their heart is slowly being ripped apart). Robin brings their knees to their chest and they cry like a child, tears streaming down their face.

            Robin can’t breathe.

            Robin can’t breathe.

            She is gone.

           She was a mortal. And mortals only do one thing best.

           They die.

            Robin should have known better than to fall in love with one.

Author note: haha I'm 20 now sorry for this chapter being so down and short oops :,)