chapter 8

August 23rd, 3581

Aboard the Imperial Space Ship (ISS) Acheron

She weighs on Robin's mind for centuries. The different versions of her melt together in their mind and they feel a constant pain in their chest, a longing for her that Robin cannot quell no matter how hard they try.

Robin feels bitter that she could not experience life as they could, that she could not go on adventures like she wished. Robin finds them self angry at the forces of the world for creating her the way she was created, so perfect, so pure, yet so fragile.

But their bitterness and their anger isn't the worst part. No, not by far.

The worst part is Robin's hope.

Robin's hope that they'll see her again. Robin's hope that she'll remember them. Robin's hope that somehow, they can spend the rest of their infinite life searching out the different versions of her and making each and every one of them fall in love with them as ardently as Robin was in love with her.

Robin's hope is by far the most painful part of living without her. Because each and every time, the hope that swells inside of their chest when they see brown hair glint in the distance, is crushed and all they feel is disappointment.

Robin has gone a millennium and a half without seeing her.

Later they'll admit it was a desperate attempt to escape the hope that plagued them that drives them to sign up to be aboard the ISS Acheron, a spaceship going on a nine-year journey to explore the outermost reaches of the galaxy. Robin thinks that perhaps it's best that they go nine years living in a place where they'll have no hope of seeing her.

Robin is accepted and hired as first mate to Captain Steve Harrington, whom Robin meets within the hour. However, it isn't until after they blast off that Robin meets her.

Their first encounter is less than perfect. Robin doesn't even see her at first, they're walking down the main corridor of the ship with Steve, listening to the slightly blading man describe their doctor.

"She's a bit hotheaded," the captain says. "Young, too, but bright. Graduated early at the top of her class and her father is the head engineer back at Hawkins, but she was best suited for the mission out of all the doctors that applied, and I think she's going to be a valuable asset on the ship. Her name is Nancy Wheeler."

Robin's looking over their shoulder at Steve as he pushes through the door to the medical bay. "Nancy?" Robin scoffs. "What, like the water nymph from Avorus? Who the fuck names their kid after a water nymph?"

As Robin turns forward, the next thing Robin feels is a sharp pain as a fist connects with their nose. Robin stumbles back into Steve, their hand flying up to their face and they curses as they feel blood on their palm and fingertips.

"You bitch!" Robin spits, their voice a mixture of disbelief and anger. "You fucking broke my nose! How the fuck-" Robin stops midsentence as they look at her, really looks at her for the first time.

Robin sees brunette hair and blue eyes and Robin's heart stops in their chest.

"My parents named their kid after a water nymph," she says before whirling around and walking away.