iii; ailing: leorio

female y/n

ailing

/ˈeɪlɪŋ/

adjective

in poor health.

theme song: softcore - the neighbourhood

timeline: start of hunter exam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"take that back leorio! if you're insulting the kurta, i won't forgive you." the blond yelled, infuriated as to why his newfound 'friend' was lying about wanting money so blatantly.

"why? i'm telling the truth." the ravenette was panting as memories of the past creeped up on him slyly, like a predator tailing its prey. "if i'd had money, my lover and friend wouldn't have died!" the blond spluttered, caught off guard considering he knew the stubbornness of the man he ran with, not realising he would crack so easily.

they ran in silence for a second, kurapika mulling over the revelation. "an illness?"

"it was a treatable disease..."

the young girl fell to the floor, reminding leorio of his friend not too long ago. he remembered how that played out, being bedridden for days only to be presented with disappointing news. all he could do was run to her unconscious body, holding her and hugging her tight whilst knowing her future was finished...

"the problem was that the operation costs a fortune..."

leorio clutched her hand tightly, awaiting the announcement that would leave him heartbroken.

"i'm sorry, but her operation costs 2.6 billion jenny."

"w-what?! i can't afford that!" the woman cried out, fearing for her daughter.

"i'm sorry ms. l/n, but this is our price..." the crying lady spun round, facing her daughter's sad eyes. all y/n could do was smile, for she knew where she would be at the end of the week.

"don't cry you two, i'll be fine." tears welled up in the corner of the young girl's eyes, whilst leorio and ms l/n could only sob for their loved one...

"i was naive. i thought i could become a doctor..."

"don't worry y/n, i'll become a doctor! i can cure you way quicker than that piece of crap will, and it'll all be for free." he proclaimed his dream to y/n, who would only grin as she watched leorio try to think of ways to save her.

"heh, by the end of the week?"

"hell yeah!"

"well, i'm sure your treatment will be the best." and that was leorio's vow...

"i wanted to cure kids who have the same disease, and be able to tell them it was free of charge! then i could've told their parents, too..."

"leorio?" the voice of y/n's mother entered both of their ears. leorio looked up from his spot on y/n's bed.

"yes ms.l/n?"

"can i...speak to you for a moment?" leorio wordlessly followed the woman out of the room, where he was able to fully take in her appearance. her hair looked like it had been pulled out in some parts, deep purple eyebags adorned her under eyes and there were visible tear stains across her cheeks. "y/n had this in her room addressed to you, i think it's only right you have it." she handed him a cardboard box with the words 'for 'mr.leorio!' <3'

"thank you ms." as he was about to enter his lover's room again, she stopped him.

"thank you leorio...for cheering her up while she's been there. everytime i enter that room, i feel like fear is eating me. i could see the sadness in her eyes when she was diagnosed, but i always see it disappear when she's with you. thank you..."

"that was my dream...what a joke..."

leorio hadn't eaten or slept for days. he could only think about one thing: it was the end of the week, and y/n's last day to live. he had spent the last two days in the hospital, not leaving her side. she needed him, and he was going to be there for her no matter what.

"leorio...you need...to rest." the girl's words were far apart, as the days went by she found it harder and harder to speak.

"no. i'm not leaving you now." and through all of her pain, y/n smiled.

"i'm so tired. funny thing...considering i'll get sleep for ages." and even on her deathbed, she managed to make him smile too. yet, he could still her pain.

"sleep y/n." her last expression was one of peace and tranquillity, dying in the arms of her lover, sleeping properly at last...

"turns out to become a doctor, you need even more money..."

leorio paradinight was a mess. after y/n l/n's death, he had fallen into a strict schedule.

wake up, study, visit the graveyard, sleep.

of course, this was destroyed when he found out how he had to become a doctor.

"that much jenny?! are you serious?!" he shouted through furious tears. "damnit y/n, i just wanted to make you happy," his eyes caught onto the framed photo on his desk.

him and y/n, the photo being the gift from the box ms. l/n gave him. on the back however, was a note leorio had no knowledge of until now.

'remember that i'm cheering you on leorio. do what makes you happy!'

and he shed only one more tear before throwing his book to the other side of his room, doing what made him happy at last...

"got it? the world runs on money...so i want money!" and leorio overtook kurapika, who could only run in shock as he watched the shirtless teenager run past almost everyone, fuelled with a new desire.

kurapika observed in awe, before a smile graced his lips.

he knew that leorio was a good man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stopppppppppp this made me so sad while i was writing itttt

this was my first requested chapter! hope you enjoyed

leorio was rlly 'too young for this' bro got me sad