Lyra's World {Chapter One}

May 4, 1998 {A Month Ago}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running Along The Roofs And Swinging On Trees, I play.

"Lyra! We Are Going To Fall!" Roger cried out as we were walking on the edge.

"It's funambulism Roger! You'll be fine if you focus!" 

Roger ran closer to me and clinged onto my hand as Pan held onto Salcilia, trying to ensure her that everything is okay.

"We are almost there Roger! We Need To Get A Look At The Sunset!"

I held Roger by the arm and sat down In the Corner, which was made by the chimney hood, and stared out at the resting sun. Pan and Salcilia rested at our feet as me and Roger cuddled closer to watch the sun. I've always seen Roger as my baby brother I've known him since I was two but he was just a baby then and we've grown up together, here in Jordan College. I live in Jordan College which is in Oxford On An Island Called Brytain Which is Run By The Council of State but nobody cares about them. Jordan is a college that forms the University Of Oxford, It is a men's college but I've lived here since I was a baby and I have grown up around all these scholars and maids and moody men that run the kitchen halls that Roger works for, I suppose He Works For Them.

 I was brought here when I was just a little munchkin that could fit in a grown man's palm As Uncle Asriel Told Me.

"Lyra..The Sunset is beautiful" Roger stared out to the sky.

"It reminds me of the Aurora"

"You really want to go there, don't you?" Roger turned his head to look at me.

"Of Course I Do! It's Absolutely Beautiful There!"

"I Know That Asriel Promised You These Things But.." Roger looked back at the sky

"He Won't Break His Promise. He's Just Busy Working Up North but Soon We Can Pack Our Bags And Leave With Him! We Will Live With Him Forever And Have A Whole Life Alongside Him! We Will Have A Family..Just Me, You and Uncle Asriel."

I've Always Wondered What it Would Be Like When Uncle Asriel Finally Takes Me To The North With Him And If He Would Allow Me To Bring Roger Too, We'd Spend Our Nights All Together, All Cosy and Watching The Aurora Take It's Form In The Sky And We'd Be Able To Play In The Snow and Create Snow Animals And Snow Angels While Uncle Asriel Chases Us Around. I've Always Wondered What it Would Be Like.. Just Me and Roger With Uncle Asriel, We Would All Be A Family And We All Need It Even Uncle Asriel, He's Lonely And Only Has Stelmaria and Thorold So Me And Roger Can Keep Him Company and give him a sense of responsibility and emotion of how to actually look after a child.

"LYRA BELACQUA! ROGER PARSLOW! GET DOWN FROM THERE THIS INSTANT!" Master Carne Shouted Up At Me And Roger.

"WE ARE COMING MASTER!"

I grabbed Rogers Hand and we slide down the roof, I push Roger onto the Tree Branch as I watch him slide down for Master Carne To Catch Him As I jump off the roof entirely, falling into a mud patch.

"Lyra! You're Covered In Mud." Master Carne looked at me in disappointment, Roger Laughed.

I Smiled at Master Carne, Giving Him The Smirky Smile I Do When I Get Anxious But Happy. Master Carne reaches over and grabs me and Roger by the hand and walked us into The Common Room.

"Stay Here While I Get Mrs Lonsdale." Master Carne Put Down A Cloth And Sat Us Down Before Walking Out To Search For Mrs Lonsdale.

The Common Room Isn't Something We Are Usually Allowed In, It Belongs To The Scholars But I've Been Here A Few Times. The Common Room Is A Place For Scholars To Rest And Spend Time Together But When I Was Younger.. I Think Was About Six Maybe Seven..I Used To Sneak In Here And The Scholars Used To Keep It A Secret Before They Got Told Off By Ronnie.

A Boy Walked Up To Me And Roger And Kneeled Down, Smiling At Us.

It Was Evan!

Evan Is Master Carne's Step-Nephew.He's Thirteen, He's Only A Little Older Than Me Since I'm Twelve. Since I Was Young I've Had A Little Thing For Evan, I still do. Except From Roger, Evan is the only other child I have grown up with, I see Roger As My Little Brother But I've Always Had A Butterfly feeling around Evan. He's Everything I expect to find in a Person, He's Intelligent, Responsible, Caring and He's Full Of Courage But He's Also Ruthless and Spiteful which is exactly how I am! He is also really pretty but I would Never Say That To His Face, His Messy but carefully parted Brown Hair and Cloudy Ocean Blue Eyes Have always appealed to me which hasn't appealed too others. He Has Three other Siblings, He Has An Older Sister Called Everleigh who has a twin brother named Ryan And A Step-Brother Named Anthony but they live in London while Evan is here because of his studies. I told Mrs Lonsdale that I thought Evan was pretty once and that I really liked him but she said not to get myself twisted in that sort of relationship because Uncle Asriel would never approve also because she said it would pass in a few years but it never has, it has only gotten stronger over time but I don't like to show it because Evan points stuff out easily.

Master Carne walked in the room alongside Mrs Lonsdale.

"There They Are." Mrs Lonsdale folded her arms.