Chapter Three: Olivia

|O L I V I A|

When the news hit of Jacob's disappearance, I was sitting cross legged on my comforter binge watching a show about weird addictions.

It came to my phone as an Amber Alert.

𝙼𝚒𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐: 𝙹𝚊𝚌𝚘𝚋 𝙶𝚛𝚎𝚢𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝟷𝟽 𝚢𝚛𝚜 𝟼 𝚏𝚎𝚎𝚝 𝟷𝟼𝟻 𝚕𝚋𝚜. 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚑𝚊𝚒𝚛 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚎𝚢𝚎𝚜.

𝙻𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚜𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚠𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚋𝚕𝚞𝚎 𝚓𝚎𝚊𝚗𝚜, 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚝-𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝.

That was on Sunday morning, right now it was Monday and school is about to begin.

I chain my bike to the rack outside the side entrance and drag my feet as I walk inside. For a second I'm taken aback by all the dark clothing, it appears like the student body has decided to mourn a death, before its confirmation.

And here I am. Always the eye sore with a light grey sweatshirt and light jeans to match.

Flyers line the hallway, similar to the ones I passed on my way to school. They seem to plague every other post in this town. Every single one reminding everyone of the missing boy.

Reminding everyone of Jacob.

They chose the picture he took for the Senior yearbook, highlighting his best features. His honey brown eyes and perfectly straight teeth.

I rip one of them off my locker and try to seem inconspicuous when I throw it to the floor. I know stepping on it would be too much, but my foot twitches to do just that.

For all we know this could be a giant ruse setting up one of those stupid Senior pranks. I bet he's laughing with all his friends doing a big toast about how easy it was to fool the entire town.

About how stupid we all are to believe a lie so easily.

Looking around, all I'm met with are silent tears and exaggerated sobs of kids who I'm sure barely even knew him. Acting as if it was an actual family member on these flyers, instead of the jerk who named himself the king of the school.

I know I should feel some kind of way, but for some reason sadness isn't one of them. And I know that's terrible. What if this isn't a prank? What if he is dead? What if he's laying in a ditch somewhere? What if he's pushing up daisies?

I would never wish any kind of death onto another human being, but was it bad that all I felt was relief.

Even if he comes back in a couple of days, at least I have these days to relax.

"I heard there was a lot of blood. The whole kitchen was covered in it." Nayeli opens her locker next to mine and starts rummaging inside. "My dad says they're pretty much looking for a body at this point. They're checking the surveillance tapes, but from what he saw they might have been corrupted. The people who did this really knew what they were doing."

Her dad is the chief of police in this town, you would think he would be a little more discreet with this type of information, especially knowing what kind of mouth his daughter has.

No secret is safe with her.

"They'll find him." I tell her, closing my locker. "Remember, evil never dies. Wait, did you say people?"

"Yeah, there's no way one person could've done everything. There was almost no struggle. As if someone held him down while the other one basically just kicked his ass."

My eyes widen at her bluntness. Sure I've had an impure thought here and there after hearing the news, but that's what it was. A thought. I'm not announcing them for everyone with ears to hear.