Chapter Thirteen: Jacob

|JACOB|

I walk around aimlessly watching the group of friends and families enjoying the fair. It's different from what I'm used to.

I'm used to people watching me.

Sitting here alone with only one person to pass the time who barely tolerates you, gives you a lot of time to think.

I was a fucking dick.

And still am.

Did it really take me dying to figure out the extent to my reign of terror?

I see the group of friends I used to have and start brainlessly walking towards them, as if they would all turn around and start questioning where the hell I've been.

Mike with his short-sleeved tops, proud of the muscles he managed to build after a not so smooth transition to high school.

Ricky, who if it wasn't for the stupid pact we made in elementary school, would've most likely dropped me back in Sophomore year. He's always been too smart for this group.

And then there's Kyle, who up until this last week has always been on my good side.

I'm about halfway there when Olivia gets in front of me, stopping me on my tracks.

"Where have you been?" She's agitated and that little vein on the top of her forehead is becoming bigger by the second. She is holding on to her right hand and part of it looks red.

I instinctively grab her arm, her touch slowly becoming something I can't stand to be without. It's the only thing that makes me feel human in this otherwise altered state. "Who did this to you?"

I grit my teeth to stop myself from yelling knowing that my anger is in no way directed towards her.

"I slashed it on some wooden plank." I stare at her, knowing that she's leaving something out, but she just stares back with her deer in the headlights type stare. "I swear."

I wait for her to elaborate, but she doesn't.

She pulls her hand away and holds it to her chest. "I need to talk to you." she lowers her voice as if suddenly remembering that she's the only one who can see me.

To us it's a normal conversation. To other people she's a lunatic talking to herself.

"Where do you-" I start before getting interrupted.

She clears her throat and almost in practiced unison we both turn our heads to look at her. A sheer turban covers some of her hair, mimicking the fortune telling machines found in almost every shopping center and the excessive makeup around her eyes pulls them to look more feline than human.

She sits behind a table, facing us as she shuffles the cards in her hands.

The words Fortune Teller written off center on the chalkboard hanging from the booth in crooked handwriting.

"Would you like your cards read?" she smiles, her teeth unnaturally white. "First one's on me."

"N-no thank you." Olivia says, getting caught off guard. She looks towards me as if I could help her out of having to talk to her.

"Come on, no one has stopped in the past hour." The lady stands and without saying a word places her hands on Olivia's shoulders. Olivia looks uncomfortable but doesn't say anything as she guides her to one of the chairs on the four top table.

She sends one last pleading look in my direction, but I just shrug my shoulders. "You're the one who wanted to come to the fair. Might as well embrace the freaks."