Chapter Twelve: Olivia

|O L I V I A|

I don't know if it's a voice in my head or a ringing in my ear, but all I keep thinking about is that dumb fair.

And Kyle...

God I'm dumb.

One small apology and I'm ready to spend my night in a crowded park for him.

"I can't believe you're going." Jacob scoffs, from his position on my bed. "The fair is so boring, lame rides, greasy food and stupid booths." He lays on my bed, head hanging off as he watches me try to pick out an appropriate outfit for this unusual outing. "Aren't we supposed to be trying to figure out something about my murder, not going on dates with old bully's?"

I look over to my laptop where we had just attempted to use the 'Find my phone' app with no success.

For a slight second we fooled ourselves into believing that it would be as simple as downloading an app to find the location of his body.

What are the odds of his killer bypassing the thought of Jacob's phone being in his pocket?

"Maybe I like those things." I say ignoring his question. "The greasy food and lame rides." I clarify just to make sure he knows what I'm talking about.

I pull out a denim jumpsuit and press it against my body. It's modest enough and comfortable enough. And, more specifically, it doesn't make it look like I'm trying too hard. "What about this?"

Even as I ask the question I cringe at the thought of his response. What am I doing asking him his opinion on my outfit?

Through the reflection of the mirror I can feel his gaze leaving a trail of goosebumps as he scans me up and down. He sits up and slowly walks towards me. My heart goes a mile a minute while his footsteps seem to move in slow motion.

I try to focus on my reflection as he takes forever and a day to answer my question.

"I like it." He comes to a stop behind me. Meeting my mind in a state of funk and the knots tied in my stomach. "Do you like that kind of stuff?"

"Maybe." I say, walking towards my vanity, using it as an excuse to put some space between us. "I don't know. I've never been invited to anything like this." He stares off into space, before shaking his head, seemingly lost in his own world. "You can stay here if you want. It's not a five star resort, but I can leave my TV on for you?"

"What? And miss you going out on your first date?" He asks, incredulous I would even suggest such a thing. "I have the front row to this train-wreck and you want me to miss it?"

"It's not a date."

"Call it what you want," he says before grimacing, "but I'm certain it's a date. Kyle isn't like the rest of us. He's more reserved and isn't the type to ask girls out."

"So, you're telling me I should feel special?" I try to play it off as sarcastic, but part of me is doing flips and somersaults at the thought.

His lips morph into a tight line. "Sure."

_______

The smell of stale popcorn and fried churros immediately attack my senses the second I get off my bike. I left Jacob behind with the promise to meet here.

One mile walking I can do, but three... I don't think so.

I chain my bike up to the nearest post and do my best to flatten the wrinkles out of the jumpsuit.

I ended up putting it on and pairing it with a navy blue long sleeve. It was a bit longer than a crop top, but if you looked closely enough you could see the side of my midriff.