Chapter 1: Part 2- Just a Dream

TW: This chapter contains sexual references that may be cause some readers discomfort!!

This is the worst part of every day, I've decided. Baji's used to it by now, but it still bothers me. "W-We're doing a piece for the school newspaper, Mr Keisuke, and, uh, we were just wondering if w-we could ask some, heh, questions?" I can't help gagging at the fluttering girls, holding bright yellow binder folders to their flushed faces.

Baji chuckles and the girl's knuckles turn white, as if the binders are what's keeping them from fainting. "Please, ladies, call me Baji." I clench my teeth, frustrated. "He's enjoying this way too much."

I jump at the voice in my ear, startled. "Hina! Jesus christ, you scared me!" Hina grins, before turning back to Baji and his fangirls. Her brows knit together, a frown forming on her face. "I don't get it. What's so attractive about him?" I shrug.

"I kind of thought he'd be the type to draw in gay guys, not silly little school girls who think of him as some Hollywood hunk." I watch in amazement as Baji rubs his head, flexing his arms as he does. I feel my cheeks flush and I turn back to the shelf I'm restocking. "Uh, Chifuyu?" "Hm?" "How's she going?"

I pause and look back at Hina, smiling. "Do you want to see her?" Hina's face breaks into a smile and she gives me a slight nod. "Yeah, that'd be great." I put the final bottle of fish flakes on the shelf and head towards the counter, trying to block out the girls, still flirting with Baji.

Hina trails behind me and I grab the keys off the counter top, before heading to the door with "EMPLOYEES ONLY" painted on it in peeling white paint. I curse and shake the key about in the door, until it finally pops open and I leave the keys in the door. Switching the white light on, I hold my finger to my lips, signalling Hina to stay quiet. She nods and I turn back around, heading towards the cage at the far end of the large room we kept as an office.

A photo of myself, Baji, Kazutora, Seijin, Mitsuya, Hakkai, Yuzuha, Draken, Naoto, Pah and Peh posing around a newly wed Takemichi and Hina hangs on the wall above the desk. It's one of the few decent photos we have of the group, because we hired Hina's dad as their wedding photographer. Takemichi decided to look half normal for once, since he's still terrified of his father in law.

I force my eyes away from the photo to the cage in front of me, carefully easing the door open. The small wren nips at my fingers as my hand nears it, but it stops after it realises I'm not a threat, allowing me to gently lift it out of the cage. Hinas face lights up at seeing the bird and I hold it carefully, examining its wings, as Hina strokes its head.

"She's making a slow but steady recovery. She can now walk around the cage properly and cimbs the bars to get to her food, but she still can't fly. She keeps trying, though." Hina stares at the creature intently. "It's a good thing you found her when you did." Hina nods absentmindedly, suddenly distant.

I place the wren back in the cage, shutting the door behind her and leading Hina back out to the shop, where Baji is replacing the food in the snake tank. The girls from before are nowhere in sight. Baji looks up at me and smiles. I try to return it and fail miserably, but Baji doesn't seem to notice.

Hina seems pale now, so I wave a hand in front of her face to get her attention. She shakes her head and gives me a weak smile. "No, I'm fine, thanks. I'm not hungry. I-I should probably head home. See you. Bye, Baji." I wave after her, puzzled. Baji snorts. "That was weird."

I nod. "Tell me about it. Did I ask her out for food or something?" Baji shakes his head and stares at the door again. "I wonder..." I chew my lip, before turning back to Baji. I open my mouth to say something, but I'm interrupted by the bell over the front door jingling. I narrow my eyes as the middle school girls come prancing in again.

They rush over to Baji to resume their giggling performance and I don't know what comes over me, but I find myself strolling over to where Baji stands and kissing him quickly and softly on the neck. He gawks at me, now ignoring the girls, and I shrug, grinning slyly as I walk back to where I was restocking the shelves. When I glance back at him, his attention is on the girls again, but I manage to catch his eye, which shows a glint of hungry promise. I feel my cheeks go red again, and turn back to the shelf, heart singing.