17.) Full Disclosure

"Come on, one more try! Please." Pá laughed.

  "Okay, one more try. What's my favorite color?" I laughed and moved the stool closer to the bed.

  "Blue?" He asked before I shook my head.

  "It's pink, pá." I giggled.

  "No it is not! Blue like the ocean, mija. You love the ocean. Since when have you liked pink?" He asked with his usual toothy grin.

  "Since last month." I shrugged.

  "Is it because of that Andrea girl? Y/N Noceda takes shit from no one. Next time you go to school, walk right up and punch her in the face." He joked, putting his hand on my shoulder.

  "She says blue is for boys." I explained.

  "Blue can be for anyone. When I get out of this place, I'll make you all blue food if you want. Blue pancakes, blue ice cream, heck, they even have blueberry lemonade now." He chuckled. "What I mean is, you're strong. Cariño, eres una niña poderosa y no puedo esperar para ver cómo eres."

  "Even a superhero?" I asked with a wide grin.

  "Even a-" He said before he fell silent. His breathing shallowed and his eyes were blinking and darting around for a moment before they shut. He fell back onto the hospital bed. The heart monitor started making all kinds of noises I didn't understand.

  "Papá? What's going on? What are you doing?" I asked and took his hands.

  Of course, I didn't get an answer. But I knew something was wrong. I dropped his hand, stood up quickly from my chair and ran into the doorway. Luckily, his room was right across from the nurses station.

  "Help us, someone! Somebody, please. Help!" I shouted as loud as I could, getting the nurses attention. Before I could process anything, doctors and nurses of all kinds started rushing in. I watched helplessly in the doorway for a moment or two before my mom rushed in.

  "What's going on? Amor!" She called to my dad before she turned to me. "What happened?"

  "I don't know, I don't know." I told her as I started to cry. That's all I remember before the heart machine stopped and the doctor said something I couldn't understand at the time.

  "Please! Please keep trying!" Mamá yelled at the doctors.

  "Ma'am, we did everything-"

  "Don't tell me you did everything you could! My husband, my kids!" She shouted and looked to me and then the hallway.

  "Luz....you have to go get Luz. She can't see him l-" She choked out but I was frozen in shock. "Y/N, GO!" She screams and gestures to my sister who stands completely still across the hall by the benches.

  With my whole body shaking, I walked over to the bench where my sister was. She was holding four Jello cups they had just gotten from the cafeteria. I managed to stop the tears and sat beside Luz, putting an arm around her. My mom's screams still ringing through the entire floor. Her crowds deafening. I tried to sing so Luz wouldn't hear it but there was no use. Before that, she asked what happened to Papá. All I could say was that he was taking a nap.

  "Are you Mr. Noceda's children?" A doctor comes up to us and asks.

  "Mhm, we are." I nod as Luz hides further into my side, scared of the doctor.

  "Do you have any other family? Grandparents, aunts, or uncles?" She asks.

  "N-no. My grandparents are- they- my mom has a brother and sister. But they live in another country. They can't- we have no one." I tried to speak normally but I couldn't.