Chapter 10: Little Worries

Hanji's POV

"Mommy, I don't wanna go... they tease me..." Raven pouts as we took her to her class. "They don't like me. Daddy, I don't wanna go..."

Levi knelt in front of her as we stopped in front of her classroom. I love it when he's so fatherly to her. It's something that I miss when he left us. He held Raven's tiny hands as he stared into her eyes. "It's okay. What they say isn't real. Don't let the words hurt you. And if anything, you can hit them."

"Don't tell her that, Levi."

Levi chuckles softly, kissing Raven's cheek. "You can hit them if they hit you first. Understand?"

"But Daddy, they tease me. They call me a weirdo because I have a weirdo name. We were talking about mommies and daddies, and sisters and brothers... they said it was my fault that I don't have any brothers... they said that's why Daddy left..."

Levi turns to me, "That should warrant a punch in the gut."

"No, we talk to the teachers. We don't teach that to the kids, Levi." I turn to Raven, "We'll talk to the teachers and their parents. Who is it?"

"E-Erik... and his friends..."

"What are their names?"

"Issac and James..."

"We'll talk to their parents after school. I promise. Later on, we can have ice cream, okay? Don't hit anyone. Understand? If you can get through the day without hitting anyone, we can have ice cream."

Raven nods her head sadly, "Okay..."

Once I kissed her forehead and whispered her words of good luck, we watch her enter her classroom. I call her teacher and asked about the students. I didn't like the fact that the teacher would punish these children, and yet they didn't listen. The teacher has spoken to the parents about this, but they will not listen. 

Hearing those words was nothing but stressful. It felt like I had to be the one to do something about it. I couldn't speak another word when I got into the car, wondering what to say to those parents. My hands were constantly balled up tightly. My anger surged. I always hated bullies...

"Hanji?" I turn to Levi, seeing his hand creep to mine. The knuckles have turned pale, so when I released my grip, color rushed back in. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine... it's just... Raven shouldn't be suffering from that. It's not her fault that I lost Jayden... and it's not her fault that you lost your memories... she shouldn't be teased of that. And her name is nothing but beautiful. A raven is smart bird and elegant. Just like her. And besides, bullies are nasty things. Do you remember your childhood?"

"That's still a blank, Hanji. And I don't think I had anything to do with bullies."

"You must've had a better childhood then. I was bullied daily. Raven does not deserve that sort of humiliation."

Levi nods his head, "Well, we have until 2 pm. What should we do?"

"Unless you don't care about me looking for some baby things for this new kid, we can do that."

"That's fine with me. Maybe it might jog a few memories."

*   *   *

I cannot understand this man, but I have to remember that he lost his memories. As I'm trying to continue talking to the man I always loved, I forget that he doesn't remember certain things. He's adorable at it too. The blank face he has as he turns pale because he doesn't know the answer to it. Mumbling the familiar words, "I don't remember," always echoing in my head.

He could've done a lot of things... he could've gone back to that girl before. Instead, he chose to come back to me and mend every wrong he has done. He decided to continue our life together despite him not knowing a few things about his previous life. Now, he's struggling to be a good parent to Raven and this new baby.

I love him... but there are some things that I cannot forget. Pains that I can't heal completely from. Those are scars that remain on my heart and mind.

"Hanji," I turn to Levi, seeing him stare at a crib. "Where is Raven's? I don't remember seeing them in the apartment."

"I sold it," I confessed, "And a few... not very memorable toys from her toddler years. After losing Jayden, I couldn't bear seeing anything related to babies. No one was there to help store them away. Except for Erwin."

"Is that why you settled with him after my disappearance?"

Ashamed, I nodded my head. "I should've waited another year... but I couldn't carry on. With Raven all by myself and he was there with me every step of the way, that's why I gave up my wedding ring. I gave up on my marriage. I took some time off before my relationship with Erwin started."

"We should do something," Levi says, picking up a stuffed teddy bear. Raven had something like that when she was little. It was the stuffed cat that she carries around the house that we had given to her when she was born. 

"Do what?"

"Remake our vows or something like that."

"Do you want to?"

"I've been disloyal... you gave up on marriage... I want to do something that could get us closer. Or something along those lines, Hanji. I love you. I don't want that to change. Not ever. Let's renew our vows... to show that we still love each other, despite everything that happened to me."

I smiled, walking to his side and taking his hand. My nose touched his cheek as I leaned into him. "That's fine. But first things first, we need to do something about the bullies that Raven has."

"Just tell Raven to hit them."

I sighed, shaking my head. "Are you kidding me? Levi, I wonder that's how you handled bullies: hitting them and getting expelled."

"I don't remember any of that, so it could be possible, Hanji."

"We're not teaching that to her. I mean it."