Chapter 11: Confrontation

Levi's POV

We got to Raven's school a little earlier than we should have. I saw some parents lining up. All I have to do is to find those classmates of Raven's and talk to their parents. What they're allowing their children to do is wrong.

The children were dismissed, and Raven comes back to us with tears in her eyes. Levi went off to comfort her while I looked for the children. There was this small group of kids, 3 boys, laughing and pointing at Raven as they ran off to their parents. Anger surging through my blood, I walked to the parents. I bet my cheeks were red with anger.

"Are you guys the parents of Erick, Issac, and James?" I ask them.

"Why do you ask?" A mother asked.

"Your sons are bullying my daughter. Teasing her about her name and family. You need to discipline them correctly."

"What's wrong? They aren't wrong, right?" She leans forward, smirking at me. "I know you're new in this area, but word gets around quite fast. We heard that her father is just someone who left your ass after you lost your baby."

"Your sons are wrong to blame Raven for it. My daughter had nothing to do with it."

"So it is your fault?"

"It was never my fault. And it wasn't my fault that her father disappeared."

"That's what you keep telling yourself."

Before I could say anything else, Levi put himself between us, speaking words that scared me to the bone. "You need to shut up about my wife and my daughter. You don't know what it felt like to be in her shoes. Once you do, you can talk to me. Once you know the feeling of raising a child by yourself after your husband loses his entire memories and after you lost your child before they took a breath in their life, then you can talk to me about it. Otherwise, you can shut up. Because my wife has been nothing but the bravest woman I've ever known to continue standing on her two feet and still having the courage to have another child after everything she's been through. I would like to see that."

Levi picks up Raven, holding her closely. I could see the pain in his eyes as he shouted at her. The way other parents stared at us as if we were the problem.

"You don't understand what she went through... she went into worse hell than I could think of. And when most people would see their spouses after years, they would throw them to the curb. Hanji was brave enough to allow me to enter into her life again. If you can't understand how painful it is, you should never judge my wife or my daughter."

Levi whispers something into Raven's ear as he takes my hands. No one stopped us, nor did they say another word. Walking back to the car in silence, Levi buckles Raven in her car seat, smiling and kissing her cheek. 

"I guess we can get some ice cream now, okay?"

Raven nods her head gleefully. I'm glad she didn't listen to her father about hitting them. But then again, ice cream was on the line. She would do anything for ice cream.

On the way to the ice cream store, I told Levi my concerns, "Maybe we should move somewhere else? Maybe closer to where Jayden is buried. Start a new life where her classmates aren't teasing her."

"That sounds good."

"And I'm surprised that you didn't hit her. Considering what you were attempting to teach Raven, I thought you were going to hit her."

"I wanted to. But if I did that, I would've put Raven on a blacklist, and I want the best for her. Besides, I remembered what it was like."

"Being bullied?"

"No. I wasn't. Well, they did, but I never let it get to me. I defended my friends when they were bullied. That eventually led me to get into fights often as a kid. I guess you were right: I was a violent kid when I was young."

"What did your bullies tease you about?"

"Mostly about how my mom slept with all the teachers to keep me in the prestigious school. I don't know where they got that knowledge, but that's what they said. I never let it get to me because I never believed my mom would do that."

"Did she?"

"No. She never did. She never did anything remotely close to sleeping with any board members. She made sure of that. She didn't want to jeopardize my school." He turns to me, smiling softly, "And Raven has that bravery. She'll be strong. I know that. From time to time, whenever I see Raven, I think of my mom. The only thing I hope that Raven doesn't do is the job my mom had to do."

I smiled, kissing his cheek. "I'm thankful you stood up for me."

"What am I supposed to do? Let the love of my life get beaten down by words like that? Never. I would stand by your side. Forever."

"Is that what you'll say in your vows?"

"What do you think?" Of course, he would. That's one of the things he keeps saying to me. At one point, it'll become annoying, but for now, it's the most beautiful thing to hear from him every single day.