Chapter 23: Collision

This chapter is really long and I therefore can't be bothered to proofread it (sorry), if there are any particularly bad mistakes then leave a comment and I'll fix them as soon as I can!

Skye didn't think that she'd ever see the sun again, and the blinding midday felt not just good but refreshing, as if she also was eating an ice cream on the lukewarm day. She took a deep breath of mountain air. She wondered if Plague would too when he looped back into existence?
"Ok, all of you! I really appreciate everything that all of you have done, but the next part is where things get dangerous." the Foundation announced, his voice foreboding and rumbling like a distant stormcloud.
"And?" Shanta asked, panting from all of the running.
"And if you want to leave, I don't blame you. Especially you and the other prisoners, you must be exhausted." the Foundation sighed, placing a hand on Shanta's shoulder.
"Guff!" Guff objected. Some people didn't understand his language, but Skye understood it as clear as crystal.
"Yeah, just because you haven't been with us for a while or we don't do much for the Seven, don't just put us down. We're all capable fighters. You need us." Skye agreed passionately.
The Foundation chuckled to himself, "Wow. You're all either absolute saints, or you have a death wish. I know that if I was in your position, I wouldn't be going back into the fray."
"I guess we're just built different." TnTina grinned, smirking at the same time.
"I guess you are. There's a car nearby here which we can use to get moving. If we go there now, we might be able to catch a good view of the mech." the Foundation instructed.
"Wait, wait, mech?!" Skye gasped.
"Plague didn't tell you? I know I didn't... although I should've, really." Shanta shrugged, beginning to move along with the others.
"This'll be a sight to see." John commented, not showing any bias towards any particular emotions.
Every once in a while, a bullet would fire but with the guards' terrible aim mixed with the pace of their targets made for a joke of a barrage. Not a single bullet landed anywhere near them. At least they were trying. Maybe Gunnar would actually pay a few of them after he finished yelling at them.
The grassland beside the mountain was different than what Skye was used to, spending her time in the jungle at the Joneses and the mesa at Condo Canyon made the battered green grass look like new life had just been blown into the dangerous warzone.
The car was an SUV which looked scratched and worn, but it was blue. Skye appreciated that they had kept company colours at least. Beside the car was a woman wearing Seven armour in a vivid, burning red that matched her red hair as if it had been designed to do so. Maybe it had; red was not a colour used for camouflage in any situation.
Skye didn't notice that the woman was spinning keys around her finger until she threw them in Skye's direction. She caught them, and looked at the average looking key but custom made keychain that was attached to it. It was blue, like the car, and had a geometrically abstract picture of Sanctuary on it in red and taupe.
"The others say that you're a good driver. Let's show 'em what you got." she winked, "I'm the Imagined by the way."
"Nice to meet you! I'm guessing that you know me already, but this is..." Skye smiled. She turned to John and hoped that he'd introduce himself to the Imagined, but he remained silent, "This is John, or Master Chief. He goes by either name."
"'Sup." the Imagined did a wave that faded into a salute. The salute looked unnatural, like she didn't do it often.
"Five of us will fit in the car, but two of us will need to go on top. Imagined, is it ok if that's you and I?" the Foundation patted the car as if it were a steed.
"Sure." the Imagined agreed.
Skye slid into the front seat of the SUV and John took the chair beside her. He gripped his rifle tightly, his head turning sharply to look for any unsuspecting guards. Skye wondered what Cortana thought of his silence. Skye herself was wondering how much Plague's death had affected him, or maybe the quietness was an attempt to detach himself from herself and Shanta? John had already said that he wasn't going to join the Seven.
Shanta leaned in between the front chairs from the middle back seat. She and TnTina were squished against the wall from Guff's excessive plumage, but they didn't seem bothered. There were also two bumps on the roof and then the Foundation patted his hand on the window.
"Let's move it! And, Skye?" Shanta started.
"Yeah?" Skye acknowledged, beginning to speed up the car.
"Remember that on this island, the speed limit is only a mild suggestion."
"Of course." Skye giggled.
The car blasted forward, the engine roaring from its extensive use.