Chapter Four: Visit

The afternoon was chilly, but Nick had left his flat without a coat. Despite the brisk air, he feared he was sweating through his shirt. Nick glanced again at the business card he clutched in his hand as he turned right onto the crossroad. A series of three-story Victorian buildings abutted one another, each bearing the name of some attorney, consulting firm, or tech startup.

He peeked again at the card as he arrived at #20. Entering the cramped lobby, Nick scanned the walls for some sort of signage. A small, crooked placard listed the tenants of the space. Charles F. Spring, 1st Floor, Suite 106, he read. Nick bypassed the elevator and climbed a flight of stairs to the left, each riser creaking more audibly than the next. When he reached the top, he inspected three wood-paneled doors before finding the one emblazoned with Charlie's credentials.

Nick leaned his head against the doorframe. It had been almost two weeks since Charlie's visit to A&E. Nick had meant to come round his office immediately after, but a surprise 24-hour shift had wiped him out for days; then, when his mum caught a nasty virus from a patient at her clinic, he had to spend his time off from work helping her with the groceries and cooking. Damn David, he thought. If he wasn't such a supreme tosser, maybe he and Mum would still be on speaking terms and he could come round and help once in a while.

Trying to rid his brain of the sudden blast of brotherly resentment, Nick took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. He was here now, and that was what mattered. Charlie was what mattered.

He turned the doorknob and entered a waiting area that was larger and sunnier than he expected, given the condition of the building. Two bright windows faced the street below, casting sunbeams on the colorful photos that adorned the walls. Did Charlie take those?, Nick wondered. He took a seat on a plush couch that was set against the wall to his right, adjusting his position a couple of times to try and look comfortable. Facing ahead, he noticed a closed door on the opposite wall that was lined in shower glass, which, he assumed, led to Charlie's private office. He checked his phone. 2:56.

The door opened suddenly, before Nick was ready for it. There was Charlie, one hand still on the doorknob and the other full of what appeared to be notebooks. He was dressed smartly in a forest green pullover and striped trousers, tall and lean, his mop of black curls long and adorably disheveled. Charlie's blue eyes found Nick's and his mouth fell open slightly.

Nick stood up so abruptly that he wobbled. "Hi," he said, leaning slightly to steady himself with the armrest.

"Hi," said Charlie, breathlessly, nearly losing his grip on the stack of charts in his left hand.

The space between them may as well have been an ocean. In that moment, Nick felt like he was struggling for air the same way he was for words.

"I... meant to come sooner," he tried earnestly, though he realized how hollow it sounded.

"Oh," Charlie managed.

"How are you?," Nick asked.

"Um... okay. Long day," said Charlie, cocking his head and giving a small shrug.

"How are your injuries?" Instantly, Nick chided himself silently. Bloody hell, Nicholas. Not so clinical.

"Oh, they're... fine. Still limping a bit on the left. Took the bandage off my elbow," Charlie replied.

"That's good! Really... good."

A beat. Nick felt his cheeks flush and his palm move to the nape of his neck.

"Fancy a cuppa?," blurted Charlie suddenly, breaking the silence.

"God, yes," Nick said, relieved for the prospect of something to do with his hands. "Thanks."

Charlie disappeared back into his private office. Nick stared down at his trainers wondering how to look normal.

Charlie returned a couple of minutes later with two steaming mugs, which he placed on the small table in front of them. He passed Nick two sugar packets and took a seat at the other end of the couch. Nick followed suit and sat down.

Nick chuckled, "Two sugars — you remembered," before wondering whether he should have brought up the past at all. His cheeks flushed again.

To his relief, Charlie just smiled in response. "So, Nick Nelson. How have you been?"

Charlie had always been bolder than he was.

"Really good," he replied, almost surprising himself at how legitimate he sounded. It was a half-truth, he knew. On paper, his life was excellent. He had a successful career where he was respected and appreciated. His friend group was supportive enough, if not quite tight-knit. He had always found it easy to make friends through sports, after all. He told Charlie about the veterans rugby team he played for occasionally, admitting that he wasn't sure how much longer his body could tolerate the strain.

"You'd make a great coach, when the time comes," said Charlie.

"Well. I don't know about that," he said, realizing that the last time Charlie had seen him play rugby was a literal lifetime ago. "Er, how about you? How are things? Get hit by any more bicycles?" He cringed inwardly at his awful attempt at a joke.

"Ha, nope. Just the one," Charlie replied, seemingly unfazed. "Things are alright, though. Playing in Sahar's band once in a while, as you know. And this," — he gestured to the room around them — "is my work space. I think I found my counselor so helpful when I was younger that I became one myself. I just want to help kids, and teenagers... not feel so... terrible." He trailed off.

"I'm sure you're wonderful at that, Charlie," said Nick, trying to convey how much he meant it.

Charlie met Nick's gaze at the sound of his name. "Thanks. I... like to think I am. My schedule is booked, at any rate," he finished. "I find it really fulfilling."

"You're a great nurse, by the way," he added.

"Oh," Nick blushed. "Thanks." He considered that they had only discussed the superficial aspects of their lives — work, socializing, extracurriculars. He wondered about Charlie's inner life. About things that were more... personal. Reflexively, he glanced at Charlie's left hand. No wedding band, he couldn't help but notice.

"Do you, er, live nearby?," he ventured.

"Yeah, just around the corner, actually," said Charlie. "But —" He hesitated. "I'm... supposed to be moving next month."

Something about Charlie's tone had changed. "Oh," said Nick. "Is that — a good thing?"

"Um. Yeah. I think."

A beat.

Charlie closed his eyes before speaking the next six words, softly. "I'm moving in with my partner."

Nick's vision went hazy and his ears began to ring. Partner.

***

As he lay in bed that night, he realized that he couldn't remember any of the conversation that followed, let alone how he had made it home.