Chapter One

The fifth child born child in the viscount's household was Eloise Bridgerton, although the number had never mattered to her parents and her parents loved her

The fifth child born child in the viscount's household was Eloise Bridgerton, although the number had never mattered to her parents and her parents loved her. She differed from the other girls of her age. She was flamboyant, ambitious and opinionated, or more like the boys.

She was part of society because she was born to the Viscount. Her difference from the rest didn't help her fit in. Society expected the girls to be shy, sweet and submissive and Eloise was none. She didn't want to be like other girls. She wanted to attend university rather than get married and have babies.

When girls dreamed of marrying and starting a family, she dreamed of getting an Education.

After her father's death, her mother had declared that she wished to see all her kids getting married, in a love match.

1814:

Bridgerton household:

"A love match? As if I will ever fall in love with one of those misogynistic, egoistic, air-headed society men. I don't see the necessity for me to debut in society so soon. I have so much to accomplish before I settle down for someone, I could have been doing something much better, maybe studying at Cambridge or perhaps travelling the world like Collin, but instead, here I am getting ready to be presented to society to be judged for the way I dance and smile," Eloise mutters.

"It might not be as bad as you expect it to be, my a chance of fate you might fall in love with some decent man who might understand you and support you to pursue an education." Anne, her lady's maid, says.

"Have you met the men? Let alone the others. My brother Anthony thinks I am unbearable, and he himself hopes to marry someone just for the sake of having kids." Eloise tells Anne as the latter fixes a feather on her head.

"and feathers.? Am I a debutant or a contestant at the bird show, although the latter sounds much better."

"Ma'am, it is how every debutant dresses before she meets the queen," Anne says.

Once they are done, the maids leave. Eloise walks to the door and finds her entire family standing there. "If anyone utters a single word" "now let's get done with this," she tells and rushes past them.

Outside the queen's court:

"Do we have to do this, mama?" Eloise asks her mother. "Of course, we must. And don't you worry dearest, Daphne could impress the queen and so will you." Violet assures her.

"But I am not perfect like Daphne, am I?" Eloise mutters. Before the conversation could go forward, the footman informs them they are next. As the door opens Eloise visibly tensed.

"I have seen enough," the queen declares even before Eloise could move ahead.

"Does this mean I can leave mama?" She asks her mother. "I don't know what it means, dearest,". Violet whispers. But before anything else could happen Eloise lifts the train of her dress and rushes out of the door.

 But before anything else could happen Eloise lifts the train of her dress and rushes out of the door