Chapter 1

(Ayla above)

Ayla walked downstairs to see her Dad sat at the table with his head in his hands. He was worried, he always sat like this when he was worried.

"Dad, what's happened?"

He wasn't worried often, this meant something serious. The pacts been in trouble lately, her father's a good leader but they're a small pack and growing smaller as more girls find there mate and move away, and for some reason it was mainly girls that generation, so they weren't bringing in nearly as many as they were loosing. That couldn't continue, loosing numbers combined with only an unmated female heir was dangerous: they couldn't afford to look weak.

Her father sighed loudly before looking up at her,

"Another 3 girls left, they found their mates at a multi-school bonfire last night. This can't keep happening Ayla, I'm sorry but if we want to stay strong then you need a mate."

Confused as to what he meant the 17 year old girl looked at her father more closely.

"Well, I can't help not finding him yet dad, you know I would if I could." She tilted her head in confusion as she waited for a reply.

"I know sweetie, that's just it, there is a way. I'm organising a Chase."

She thought for a moment, a Chase, they were rare, it called for all high ranking unmated male or female wolves to come to one specific area, with the one or ones who needs a mate hidden and running within the boundaries until their
mate chased them down and got them, if they were there. This normally did have more people looking for their mate, but could be done by just one. It used to be a very popular way of finding mates, but now people prefure to let it happen naturally, unless they were desperate. And now, well now Ayla's father was desperate, his pack needed and alpha female and male next in line to be strong again because he couldn't run it forever. They've reached the point of desperation in the pack, and a Chase is the only way to save it.

Ayla was lost in these thoughts for what felt like hours but was probably just a couple minutes...

"Ayla, say something. You know I don't want to rush you, I want you to stay my little girl forever, but the pack is weakening and if someone sees that and attacks then we don't have enough members to win. We'll lose the pack if we dot act soon and you know I can't risk their safety, your safety."

She opened and closed her mouth a few times before working out what to say.

Is she angry? No, she understands- but she is scared? Yes.

"What if I don't find him? What is no one wants to come? Dad I'm scared."

He dad looked at her knowingly, she was a strong girl, but she had her moments. The slightly greying alpha opened his arms and pulled his daughter close.

"Of course people will come, and I know you'll find him. Then you'll have your mate, and he'll make you so happy, little one, just you see."

* * *

Ayla and her father had been rushing to organise the Chase, she'd found another 11 high ranking females looking for mates who wanted to join as a chased.

The females, including Ayla, would be the chased, while the males would be the chasers.

She was starting to feel more at ease, with there now being 12 girls and 27 guys known to be coming, plus you can always guarantee that at least 4 guys will show up who didn't feel the need to confirm attendance.

One of the other 11 girls way Ayla's best friend, the betas daughter who also needed a mate for the next beta male in line, Elizabeth, or Ellie for short.

So that's where she was going now, to find Ellie and get the last things, apart from food,they needed for the Chase and the meal after. The last thing was something Ayla was looking forward to, finding a dress. It went against the rest of Ayla's personality, but she actually liked shopping and just having fun at the mall with Ellie: it was a way of letting of some steam for the girls.

Upon arriving at Ellie's door she lifted the handle and let it fell, waited a few seconds, then just walked in knowing Ellie never answers.

"Ellie! Hurry up or we'll end up rushed to pick!"

Following the yell was the slight noise of her friend running down the stairs with a silence that scared everyone around her, her blond haired friend came running down with a goofy look on her face.

"Chill, I'm ready, let's go."

The rush of words fell out of her friends mouth but Ayla just scoffed and led her out, hitching a ride with a pack member who was heading past there anyway.