Chapter 29

Today was a big day, especially for Joshua. His letter came from Rice University today! He hasn't opened it yet. He wanted all of us to be there with him. Also he couldn't opened it when he found it in the mailbox. If he got accepted he would be starting this fall, and if he got rejected all of his hopes and dreams will be shattered and he will have to go to community college.

He woke us up at five in the morning, calling all of us in turns until someone picked up the phone. That person happened to be Greyson who was met with a wonderful amount of excited screaming which woke me up. I forgot there even was a 5 A.M. We hung up the phone and tried to go back to sleep but we were wide awake now.

We spent the day setting up a small party for Joshua. The three of us went to the mall in the morning to get him presents. We hid it in the room though for the time being. Just for a a lot of justifiable reasons we hid it from him. 

Dani and I spent the morning cleaning and decorating while Greyson was in the kitchen. It so lovey-dovey that it grosses me out but I had to fight the blush as he got flour all over his shirt. I personally think that every person in the world, no matter who you are, should know how to cook. It is just something that is really convenient, and, guys, every girl falls head over heels for a man who knows how to cook. The menu for the evening was burger and fries then ice cream later at Ben and Jerry's. We were just waiting on Dad and Victor. I had called them about 30 minutes earlier to see what's up.

"Hey, how far are you guys?" I asked as they finally picked up. 

"About 10 minutes away," they said. They both were joking around so much that I couldn't tell who actually said it. I heard Dad, I think, say "She was so surprised when I told her!"

"Okay, hurry up. We all are waiting on you."

"Yeah, bye."

"Joshua I think your dad is calling you," Dani said. He got up and went to the room where his dad was laying down.  We were in the living, chilling on the couch, watching 'The Breakfast Club". It's a great movie, possibly one of my favorites, but there is things in this movie that just make you question things. Like at the end of the movie John and Claire kiss right in front of her dad. If you think about it from both perspectives it becomes really funny. From John and Claire's perspective they're like "We hung out for one Saturday detention while running away from our lunatic principal, let's kiss in front of your dad, Claire!" And from the father's perspective he goes from "Who the hell is this kid?" to "What the hell is he doing with my daughter". That's the 80's in a nutshell, baby! 

We were at the part where Andrew, Emilio Estevez's character, has his big monologue about how his dad expects him to be his sort of protégé. Though the movie does become a bit exaggerative the characters become so relatable. Especially when Claire says that they all can't be friends because the people they hang out with are so different, or when Brian talks about killing himself because he got one bad grade and completely loosing it over his college admission.

You know what I think the best behaved students have it bad. Worse than others kids in most situations. The reason they act by the rules so much and get such exceptional grades is that they don't want to be a distraction or put more stress in an already stressful situation or else in fear that they can get in trouble if they slip up. If they keep their mouths shut and nod their head to everything then all will be fine.

My phone started to ring again. I thought it was Dad or Victor, it has been well over 40 minutes since the call, but it was a random number. I gave the phone to Greyson to talk. Maybe this was an important call that may have slipped from my mind and totally not a scam call. I like to give other people benefit of the doubt, it may not work in all cases but that's just I view the world.