10 | Invitation

Graceful, elegant

Graceful, elegant. The sharp curve followed by spinning and spinning, as if a frosted whirlpool sucking you in. Look at me, it compelled you, and so you did. Ayaka slithered and spun, never losing her focus from her passionate twirls and jumps. She took speed, gaining more and more confident in each skate, until she leapt in the air instinctively, almost effortlessly.

Joyful cheers and awestruck faces boomed from behind her. Ayaka turned to find you and Yoimiya, alongside other spectators from the public supporting her. In that moment, her cold breath turned warm, insides filled with pride and even a little embarrassment.

"Thank you guys.." She nervously smiled, skating towards your direction, "Really.."

"You were amazing out there!" Yoimiya pulled her in a tight embrace. You did as well.

"For real, Ayaka. You're definitely going to win nationals now!"

Ayaka walked out of the ice rink, Yoimiya and you following her. Soft and loud voices intertwined with one another as she began untying her ice skates.

"Oh I don't know" She began, "I'm not even sure if I'll enter this year-"

Yoimiya shortly interrupted her, "Of course you are! I mean- not if you don't want to of course but.. You would really win this year if you signed up, I just know it"

Fresh cold air pricked your skin as the three of you made your way to the exit, your clean-kept hair dancing at the slightest breeze from your walking pace. It was a Saturday morning- and a Saturday morning to watch Ayaka's ice skating practice with Yoimiya. You admit, ice skating was never your thing- as much as even moving around. But Ayaka was talented, and deserved unconditional support from the two of her bestest friends, and you always loved watching her swift and precise motions, so what's the harm in watching a few of her practices?

"Ayaka" You interlocked arms with your friend, "You know we'll support you no matter what. But I agree with Yoimiya, you should definitely join. I mean, you're the best ice skater I've ever seen!"

"I'm probably the only ice skater you've ever seen"

"..Still" You both chuckle.

As your conversation with Ayaka faded, Yoimiya bringing up another topic, you opened your phone to check the time.

1:15PM

Shit.

You're late.

"I'm late-" You said aloud. The plan for today was to watch Ayaka's performance with Yoimiya before leaving to address what had happened yesterday to Heizou, bringing Xiao with you, of course. He must already be waiting for you at the meeting spot, and what are you doing? Walking arm in arm, not a care in the world, in a parking lot with your friends as if a middle-schooler.

"What are you late for, Y/n?" Yoimiya tilted her head to face yours, "You need to get dropped off?"

"Oh- no, no! I'm fine, I just need to be somewhere, not too far from here, I think?"