008

I was sitting in the car, waiting for the four of them to come back

I was sitting in the car, waiting for the four of them to come back. It had almost been an hour, and they still weren't back. I had debated a few times trying to look for them, but I thought of how I would look entering Middle School, clad with my Tigers cheer outfit. And then the fact that I am older than all of the students in that school, so I would be caught out immediately and most likely drag unnecessary attention to the group.

As I look up at the doors, I watch as they all come running out, holding El up.

I quickly put my homework into my bag and hop out of the car, helping them, put El into a seat, safely. "What happened?" I asked the group.

"Ronie, Troy pissed himself! Like in front of everyone!" Dustin said, joined by Lucas who was nodding next to me.

"It was so cool."

"Okay that's amazing, but I meant what the hell happened to Eleven. Why is she bleeding?" I added, noting the fresh blood coming from her nose. I quickly opened the glove box and produced some makeup wipes, throwing it back to the boys in the back, who began helping Eleven clear up the blood.

*****

I drove them back to the Wheeler's and decided to head down to the basement with the group.

They began to explain that Will had communicated to El through Mr Clarkes radio. I sat on the couch, slightly exhausted from being around the kids but still intent on listening.

"What was Will saying?" Mike asked.

"Like home... Like home..."

"But dark?"

Lucas came over, holding out a snack to me. "And empty."

"Empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?" I sat silently as they went between the four of them, completely unaware of anything that was going on.

"I don't know. The stupid radio kept going in and out."

"It's like riddles in the dark."

"Like home. Like his house?"

"Or maybe like Hawkins."

"Upside down." Eleven whispered.

"What did she say?" Dustin asked.

"-Upside down." 

"When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember?" Dustin clocked what Mike was saying. I watched as Dustin turned round to the D&D board on the table. He obviously knew something that I did not because I just watched my genus freak of a brother as he turned back to the group, this time a bit more perky than before.

"Upside down."

"Dark. Empty." Eleven nodded.

"Do you understand what he's talking about?"

"No." I cut over all of them. Face pulled into the most puzzled expression I have probably ever pulled.

Mike gave me a look before continuing. "Guys, come on, think about it. When El took us to find Will, she took us to his house, right?"

"Yeah. And he wasn't there." Lucas stated.

"But what if he was there? What if we just couldn't see him? What if he was on the other side? What if this is Hawkins and... this is where Will is?"

"The Upside Down."

"Like the Vale of Shadows."

"What are you talking about, Dust?"

"The Vale of Shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world. It is a place of decay and death. A plane out of phase. A place of monsters. It is right next to you, and you don't even see it."

"An alternate dimension. But... how... how do we get there?"

"You cast Shadow Walk."

"In real life, dummy." Mike sighed.

"We can't shadow walk, but... maybe she can." We all turned to Eleven.