035

"Since the release of the incendiary tape, the once quiet town of Hawkins, Indiana, has spent time in a place it never expected. has spent time in a place it never expected. Under mounting pressure, several high-ranking members from the U.S. Department of Energy have admitted involvement in the death and cover-up of Hawkins resident Barbara Holland who died due to exposure to an experimental chemical asphyxiant, which had leaked from the grounds of the lab. We sent our own April Kline to Hawkins to speak to residents, residents who told us they thought they lived in a safe town. The kind of town where, they say, nothing ever happens."

"And like that it was over." Steve says from the driver's seat.

"Not exactly..." I say, trailing off as I look over to him. We're currently parked, just off Maine, having treated ourselves to a Bargain Bucket. He raises an eyebrow at me, confused. "Well for one, we have a little girl who has superpowers. And we still have a dead demo-dog in the Byers' freezer." He nods, now understanding what I meant. "The tunnels are still there..." I look at the time shown in the car. "Not to mention, we have a dance to get to."

"What? No!"

"I signed us up."

"Why?" Steve asked, watching me as I put my seat belt back on.

"Because our friends are doing it - plus it'll be fun!"

"Yeah, so fun." He says sarcastically, though he still started the car. "Like I couldn't think of fifty million other things to do tonight than be a third wheel chauffeur!"

"We are not third wheels."

"Eh, yeah... yeah we are." Since Jonathan and Nancy have started to date we've totally become the third wheel." I laugh at him as he tries to explain. "It's like whenever they're together they just forget we exist - it's disgusting really."

"Says the hopeless romantic!"

"There is no shame in that - but for those two..."

"Oh I get it, as long as you're miserable and lonely, nobody else can be happy?" I say, joking. "I'm sorry my presence doesn't make you feel less of a third wheel."

"I'm not lonely." Steve said honestly, smiling over to me as he pulled up to my house. "I've got you Veronica Henderson."

I laughed at him, before turning in my seat. "And what happens - when I find someone else to be a third wheel with?"

"You won't." I shake my head at his confidence, leaving the car to get ready. From the winded down window Steve shouted out to me. "I'll pick you up in an hour, tell Dustin he better be ready or I'm dragging him out in his pyjamas!"

*****

Dressed and ready to go, I left my room and headed towards Dustin's. "Hey, Dust. You ready to go? Steve will be here soon."

The door opens to reveal Dustin in his suite, all dressed up for his Snow Ball. "What do you think?"

I tilt my head before noticing the big difference. "Wow, don't you look like a hot shot!"

"Is it too big? Too high?"

"It's perfect! I love it! Just wait till Steve sees it."

"You look pretty." My face brightens as I look down at the dress I chose. Light blue ruffles flared out from my waist, fully accepting the Barbie look that it gave me.

"Thanks." I smile back up to him. "Let's go get a photo - before Steve gets here."

"Don't want him in your photos?" He asked.