009

I sat at my desk, gently brushing my hair, staring at my reflection

I sat at my desk, gently brushing my hair, staring at my reflection. I was dressed in a simple black dress. Today was Will's funeral...

I had already cried that morning. I was sure to get most of the tears out of my system before putting on my mascara. I didn't want to look like a mess when I was one of the few that believed he was still alive. If El was right, and did have supernatural powers, he was alive. And I was prepared to hold onto any belief that I could that that was true.

My thoughts are interrupted by a knock at the door, then by it opening to reveal Dustin. He takes one look at me before walking over and standing behind me, looking into the mirror as well.

"You know this is all for show right?" His voice is tough, no emotional breakdown in sight...

"I know... It's just a lot. Kinda just slaps you in the face the realisation that he went missing partially because of me. Dustin, if I had just driven him back home, he would have been safe."

"Not true."

"Dustin -" I was cut off by him, as moved in front of me.

"No. Who said he didn't make it home safe?"

"The cops - "

"- No, Ronie. They don't know shit."

"Dustin, watch yourself."

"Why, as far as we know, they have no clue about the Upside Down. Or El. So the idea of you being the reason behind his disappearance is completely out of the question." I nodded as I placed a hand on his chubby cheek, cupping it gently. When did he get so smart? I smiled at him.

"I love you."

"I love you too." I pull him into a hug, one like I gave him a few nights ago after the news of the body being found. One we were convinced was not Will Byers.

"God I'm so happy you're a smart kid."

"I know, I got all the brains in this family." I laugh lightly at his comment before tugging him downstairs to join Mom in the car.

When we arrive at the cemetery, Dustin leaves us to join the boys. Mom walks over to Mrs Wheeler, who was already in bits looking at the small coffin, half buried in the ground.

As I pass by it, I take a second to stop and look at the wooden box. And think to myself what if I had driven him home; would he still have been taken? Would it have been myself instead. Would this funeral be for me? Or was the events of that night inevitable? I feel an arm wrap around my own and look away from the coffin to see Nancy. She offers me a small smile, before pulling me away from the hole and towards the side, watching as the funeral starts.

It's then that I notice the tears that I promised myself wouldn't fall, had already come loose.

Pastor Charles took his position in front of the coffin and began praying. I did not listen, I was too busy trying to control my racing thoughts, full of What Ifs.

"How, if He is truly benevolent... could God take from us someone so young, so innocent? It would be easy to turn away from God... but we must remember that nothing, not even tragedy, can separate us from His love. We are here today to find comfort in the truth of scripture, -and to surround Will and his family..."

As we pay our respects to the coffin, we pass Mrs Byers. I nod in her direction too ashamed to say anything. Surely this woman blames me, whether directly or indirectly for her missing boy's death - even it was still up for speculation.

I passed Jonathan, who up until a few days ago I was still slightly angry about. After all, what happened with the photo was still completely wrong of him. How could you even defend that action? However as I pass the boy, I realise how much hurt he must be experiencing. His eyes were staring down, staring at peoples shoes, instead of their faces.

Without much hesitation, I walk up to him and give him a gentle hug. Silently saying that I forgave him and that I was sorry. I stood there for a few seconds before I felt his arms meet each other around my back, him finally accepting my hug.

I broke away from him and offered him a small smile, before being pulled away by Nancy. Only for Jonathan to join us a few minutes later.

"Remember I said about the masked man?"

"The one from Steve's backyard?" I question Nancy, looking between the two of them.

"Yeah - well it turns out I'm not the only one to have seen this 'person'."

"Who else has seen it?" Pulling us around the corner, away from any prying eyes, Nancy gestures to Jonathan.

"Jonathan, and Joyce."

"What?" I ask, almost shouting in surprise.

"And guess what... It's not a masked man." Nancy fills me in, and honestly considering the conversation I had had yesterday with the boys and El, it didn't seem too far-fetched now knowing that there was a place called the Upsidedown.

"I found something." Nancy states, bringing me back to the funeral.

"And if we do see it...Then what?" Jonathan asks, sarcastic humour lacing his words.

I look between the two, before stepping back into the conversation. "We kill it." They look at each other before coming back to me. "Jonathan... this thing took Will. A kid. Nancy, Barbara is missing... You can't honestly believe that this thing won't strike again?" Jonathan nodded, agreeing with me, before heading over to another car.

"-What are you doing?" Nancy asked, confused.

"-Just give me a second."

"Are you serious?"

"What? You want to find this thing and take another photo? Yell at it?" She stopped her rant, finally seeing what Jonathan was getting from the car. It was a handgun! I looked up to his face, ready for his commitment to the idea of killing whatever took his brother. "This is a terrible idea."

"Yeah, well, it's the best we've got. What? You can tell someone, but they're not gonna believe you. You know that."

"Your Mom would."

"-She's been through enough."

"-She deserves to know."

"Yeah, and I'll tell her... when this thing is dead."