Chapter 3

1/2

Pete woke up before Mike, when he sat up, he noticed Mike had been holding him while they slept. Pete has never been hugged sincerely before. It's always just a lazy goodbye hug from his mom.

Pete stood up and went downstairs to see that Mike's parents were arguing about random shit. This must be what it's like behind closed doors. Pete went to the kitchen to find that all the coffee grounds had been used up. Mike's parents drank all the coffee in just a few hours. Obviously, Pete was pissed about it, but he couldn't really do much about it. He sat in the kitchen on his phone, every now and then picking up on the argument Mike's parents were having.

Mike woke up about half an hour later. When he saw that Pete was gone he suspected that he was in the kitchen, and he was right, Pete was in the kitchen. Mike noticed that Pete didn't have a cup of coffee in front of him.

"Hey dude. Why no coffee?"

"Your douchebag parents drank it all by the time I woke up."

"Oh, that sucks."

"Do your parents always act like this?"

"Yeah, especially when they're stuck together for long periods of time. They've tried couples therapy but they always end up solving their problems through sex. But it's just a cycle. Therapy, sex, therapy, sex. It's constant."

"Huh. Well I don't know what to say about that. I mean, I argue a lot with my mom so I don't know if her getting a boyfriend would help. For some reason after a few weeks with a new boyfriend, they always end up missing or are found dead in the woods or the pond."

"Is your mom a murderer?"

"With how she is, most likely."

The two talked about their parents and how they dealt with them when suddenly, Mike's dad just walked out of the house. He walked through 3 1/2 feet of snow just to get away from Mike's mom. She chased after him and they ended up leaving Pete and Mike at the house.

Mike wasn't that shocked that his parents would have a split like this. But Pete never understood what marriage can do to people. His mom was never married while he was alive, but what does he know. Maybe his mom had a husband or wife while he was a baby and he just doesn't remember.

Mike went to the living room and tried to figure out a way to watch something on the TV, but nothing worked. Guess the cold front took out the power lines as well.

"So, what are we gonna do?"

"Um, I don't know."

"I already filled that book up so I don't really know what to do."

"Well, if the power lines are down, then our phones don't have any WiFi. Soooo, I don't know what to do."

"Well what are you gonna do, drink my blood or some shit?"

Mike froze for a second. He'd kept this secret in for too long. He couldn't believe that Pete hadn't noticed earlier but it had to come out.

"Pete... I'm actually a vampire."

"Hahaha... you're serious?"

"Yeah, I'm a vampire. I've kept this secret in for too long and I need to tell someone, so I think that you're the best person to tell. It seems like you'll keep a secret if needed."

Pete had started to think of the signs. He never took out the fangs, is pale makeup never transferred onto anything, and he didn't eat at lunch with all his other stupid friends. Was this true or was he just fucking around.

"You're for real?"

"Yeah."

"Pull out your fangs."

Mike pulled on his fangs but they wouldn't come out. He rubbed his skin but no makeup came off, it was for real.

"This is stupid. I though vampires were fake. I thought they were just an urban legend."

"Well, many of us come from Transylvania but some of us come from the states. I was born here about 100 years ago."

"I'm so confused right now."

"I know, it can be difficult understanding things that we didn't really believe in. It's going to be okay."

Pete went to the bathroom, trying to get his thoughts together. Was this an elaborate dream or was he hallucinating. This couldn't be real. There's no such thing as vampires.

Mike waited in the living room thinking if he made a mistake by telling Pete his secret. But then again, no one would believe Pete if he said Mike was a real vampire. Then he started thinking of blood, and the fact that since he's snowed in, he can't get any blood from the drive.

Pete came out of the bathroom, freaked out a bit and maybe a little scared. But he got the courage to go back down to the living room to hang out with Mike.

When Pete made it to the living room, he stopped in his tracks when he saw Mike staring at him.

"Um, hey, sorry I got a little freaked out. I didn't mean to run off on you."

"I just realized something."

"What."

"Since we're snowed in, I don't have easy access to blood. If I don't have any, I'll starve."

Pete walked back a bit. He knew what Mike was thinking. Pete started thinking. This is all an elaborate joke, he's joking... right?

Mike moved towards Pete and hugged him.

"I'd never hurt someone I care about."

"What?"

"I won't hurt you."

"I thought you were gonna pounce on me."

"Not unless you want me to."

"What?"

"Nothing."

Pete sat down on the couch and Mike sat next to him.