Chapter 5

When Pete woke up, he noticed that his wound was healed up and it didn't even look like it had been there at all. Then he noticed, Mike was sleeping on the futon. He was curled up and grinding his teeth. Pete went over to Mike and woke him up.

"Hey dude, you up?"

"Huh? What?"

"Why are you sleeping on the futon?"

"Oh, well, I didn't want to make you feel weird with me sleeping on the bed next to you."

"That makes sense."

Pete looked at the floor with a sad expression. He almost showed emotion.

"Hey, Pete, are you ok?"

"Well... it's complicated."

"Did you want me to sleep next to you?"

"Maybe."

Pete got embarrassed at the fact that Mike found out. Mike stood up and hugged Pete. It was a cold, but refreshing hug. Pete never felt so loved before. He hated his mom, his friends don't care, and he won't open up to his therapist. Pete started to cry.

"Hey dude, it's ok. You don't have to cry."

"I'm not crying, dickhead."

Mike looked down at Pete, he was usually pretty good at lying, but this time, this time he gave up on trying. Mike let go of Pete but Pete held on, not wanting someone to leave him again.

They hugged for a while and went downstairs, there was still over 3 feet of snow on the ground. When they got to the kitchen, Mike's parents were back, but they weren't arguing. They talked like an understanding couple. Mike wasn't used to this, like he said, it was always yelling and sex. But they were talking like normal people, if you can consider them people.

Mike looked around the kitchen trying to find something Pete could eat. Then he found a new hidden coffee ground mix. Mike made the coffee and handed it to Pete.

"Wait, I thought they were out of coffee."

"I found some in the top cabinet. No wonder you couldn't find it."

"Don't... just, don't "

"Ok."

They sat there for a while, not talking. Mike and Pete were on their phones figuring things out on what to do about the storm. But suddenly, they heard the beginning of an argument. Mike's parents were watching HGTV and they started arguing about houses that people were buying.

Pete started filming the argument on his phone and Mike wasn't too surprised that they were arguing. After a while, they went up to their bedroom and did "adult things". But we know what they were doing.

Mike and Pete watched the video trying to understand more and more about the stupid argument, trying to figure out if there was more to it than just houses. But they couldn't really crack the code.

"We've watched this like 10 times and I still don't get it."

"Well that's just how they are."

"I'm bored, is there anything we can do?"

"I have a book of Edgar Allan poems and stories."

"Ok, I'll read it. I mean, I've read all of his poems and stories but whatever, but it might be nice to get back to reading some of his stories."

When they got to Mike's room, Mike was still hungry. But he couldn't just attack Pete again. He at least had to ask for some of his blood.

"Hey Pete."

"Yeah?"

"I'm kinda hungry, do you think I could have some, ya know, blood?"

Pete glared at Mike, pissed off at him. At least he asked this time. Pete had a moral compass for Mike, he didn't want him to starve forever how long it would be.

"Fine, you can have some of my blood. Just don't take too much. I couldn't find any meat in your fridge."

"Thank you so much."

Pete got up and stood in front of Mike. Mike bit into Pete's neck and started drinking. Pete started to feel the pain and pulled away.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bite so hard."

"No, it's fine I just..."

Pete dropped to the floor and landed on his side. Mike picked him up again and layed him onto the bed. Again, Mike checked if he was still breathing and tended to his wound.

Pete layed there for a while and Mike almost thought he was dead, but eventually, he woke up.

"Hey... um, sorry I passed out, I have a hard time losing blood. I don't know why."

"No, it's cool. Depending how long we'll be stuck here, this might be a regular thing."

"Ok."

Pete was still dizzy from just waking up. Two more days had passed and they were still trapped. More blood, more arguing, and they finally found some meat for Pete to eat so he could regenerate blood cells. It was rough but as time went on, Pete got used to the blood loss. He stopped passing out. But again,

Tomorrow is another day.