Chapter 1

Kai
Something doesn't smell right, I thought as the gang and I ran and flipped through the air atop the House of Night. The night seemed iffy, like a thunderstorm was leaving. When I looked up at the sky, though, it was still covered in the city's smog. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, except for my gut feeling that kept gnawing at my instincts.

Vic seemed to think something similar to my own thoughts. He kept almost missing his cue to jump and damn near opened up his knee when he tried to get my attention. Every time he did I looked over and glared at him to not screw up his cues if he didn't want a death wish.

When we landed in the soft bails of hay that Clay usually had in the deserted Horse stalls, I went straight for the outdoor sinks. I didn't care how cold the water was, my skin was on fire and my throat was shriveled into a rotting apple. Everyone else seemed to think that sleep was more important and ran for their open windows at their dorms. I shrugged it off. Suit themselves.

The only one that stayed behind was Vic, and I knew why. He wanted to talk.

I heard footsteps behind me, a failed attempt to be stealthy. I sighed as I knew what was going to come next.

"Nice try," I stated before I twisted and back springed away from my opponent.

I heard a chuckle. "Worth a shot," Vic replied as he straightened himself out from his forward stance.

"You felt it too, huh". Not much of a question, but he answered.

"I thought it was just me. Felt like something huge just left. Like a hurricane just lifted out of the blue," Vic pondered.

I nodded. I looked into the sky and spotted the moon just beginning to go down and the sky began to light up again. Time to go to bed.

"We'll sort it out tomorrow. For now, try get a wink of sleep. Classes start soon and I for one do not want to get an ass whooping from Anna again," I said, failing to stifle a yawn at the end of my sentence.

Vic nodded, the drooping eyes and the way he slouched even more so told me that he felt the same way. With a wave, he turned around and headed in the direction for his dorm room.

Taking out the hair elastic and freeing my black and red hair, I finger combed it out of my eyes to get any stray hay sticks out. Tomorrow needs to come later.