Chapter 5

The fire burned through his non-existent skin, tearing apart his artificial nerves. The pain was indescribable, he felt like he should be screaming, only to the realization that he already was.

Thump thump thump thump.

The repetitive noise of Sun running down the now-broken escalator drowned out his censors, unable to notice the large chunk of debris flying towards him until it was too late and had already almost dislocated his lower arm.

The slide almost falling and flattening him back at the daycare didn't help much either.

The force sent the animatronic flying down the metallic steps of the escalator, grating his yellow-colored paint to reveal the shabby iron underneath. The moment his body stopped skidding down the escalator he felt his entire weight crash into the ground.

His lower arm had seemed to be finally disconnected from the upper upon the impact, but Sun was too distant to notice. He hadn't even realized how damaged he was, all he knew is that it hurt like hell.

His face plate twitched as he pulled himself up off of the ash coated floor, his body rocking back and forth in a pathetic attempt to steady himself.

He felt his vision blurring due to the heat of the fire, the eyes he was given weren't as good as the other animatronics, and not nearly as spectacular as Roxxane's. Heck even Moon's eyes were better then his, have to see in the dark somehow.

The moment he was properly back on his feet he clutched the paper tighter in his hand, bringing it closer to his face. His lenses were refusing to focus and he was running out of ideas. Not to mention that he only really had one idea to begin with.

The way out was ahead, he already knew this. But the issue was what came after, he had only heard of one other place and only knew one or two things about it. He was completely out of luck. But still- it was the only thing he had, and it was better then rotting with the rest of the plastic and heaps of metal.

But why shouldn't he?

"..."

Pushing the thoughts away, he lowered the paper filled with a different burning feeling, and this time it wasn't the fire.

Okay well, it was also the fire.

...

The robot's attention was alerted back to you by the feeling of you letting go of it's hand.

"Before I help you, do you have a name? Something I can address you with?" You asked, knowing it's voice box may be too damaged to even muster another response.

And it seems you might have guessed correctly, as even more scrambled glitches emitted from it's chest. The robot paused for a second, balling it's fist and hitting it's chest, frustrated it wouldn't function.

Frustrated it couldn't function.

"Okay okay that's enough. If you can't speak don't force yourself to, alright?" You said in a soft but stern tone, gently closing both of your hands over it's fist. Whether it was human or not, you didn't like to see anyone punishing themselves for something completely out of their control.

When did I start acknowledging this thing as a person?

"How about I just call you... uhh..." You glanced over it's appearance and ended up going with something real creative. It resembles something of a star or sun, soo... "...Sun?" You felt silly after saying it, letting out a light chuckle.

But the way the robot's entire body sprung up at the sound of the name made you rethink for a second.

No way is that actually it's name? You mentally facepalmed.

"Was I right on the money?" You chuckled. The robot nodded happily. "How would I have ever known." You laughed sarcastically. Sun just slightly quirked it's head to the side before pointing to one of it's spiked sun-rays. Oh it doesn't get sarcasm.

"I was joking." The tone came out harsher then you meant. Sun's posture shrank back sheepishly. Great phrasing (Y/n), you made this awkward.

"Oh! So I had a plan about the whole 'light' thing." You swiftly changed the subject. "Ya see that?" You asked, pointing to a street lamp near the far end of the alley. "It's uh.. broken." Sun glanced over to where you were pointing then back at you, clearly confused at how this was going to help him.

"But not too far from that one there's another one, one that isn't broken." You explained. "Don't really know why you need light but.. it's not like you can really tell me, huh?" Sun looked like he wanted to say something at that, but just shrugged awkwardly. "Welp, can you walk?" You asked, reaching a hand towards it to help it up.

Sun just stared at your hand, as if waiting for you to retract it. "What?" Suddenly you realized that this thing was probably way too heavy for you to lift up. It was most likely made of iron after all. "Oh." You moved your hand away and placed it on your chin. "Errr..." You wracked your brain trying to think of how to transport this metallic thing.

"So I take it you can't walk?" You asked with a nervous smile. The animatronic seemed to take this as a challenge and immediately began to lift it's hand to the wall behind it for support. It leaned it's weight into the brick wall and began trying to stand, whilst it did this all you could do is watch in complete awe at how huge this guy was.

Wait.. guy? Is it a boy? Is that an awkward thing to ask someone? Never mind.. I'll save that conversation for later. You stepped forward and placed both your arms around it's waist, helping support it as it lifted off the ground. The robot turned its head towards you and gave you a polite nod. It was now standing, but it still had it's arm bracing against the wall. "You alright?" You asked. The robot nodded once more.

The robot- or Sun, wasn't really alright. It was very obvious that this guy had seen better days, or at least probably used to have more then one arm. Hopefully. Your face shifted slightly into that of a sad smile. You felt sympathetic towards the robot, but you didn't know exactly why.

This brought up an even more puzzling thought though, was he alive? Was alive the right word? More like sentient- or maybe conscious. I mean it was a dumb question, of course he wasn't.

So then why am I bothering to help them?