1 ~ Pelican Town

I leaned back and cracked my knuckles which had gone as white as my hair. I yawned and stared at the meaningless numbers that had started wiggling around on my computer screen. I sighed and looked through my drawers. 'Hm?' I murdered to myself as I saw an aged envelope with a dark purple seal. I picked it up. It read on the front 'Rue'. Just simply my name. I was puzzled. I barely remembered that night when...

It suddenly hit me.
That memory of that night.

I tore it open eagerly almost ripping the letter in half.

Dear Rue,

If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change.

The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost the sight of what mattered most in life... Real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.

I've enclosed the deeds to that place... My pride and joy: Wool Farm. It's located in stardew valley, on the southern coast. It's the perfect place to start your new life.

This was my most precious gift of all, and now it's yours. I know you'll honour the family name, my dear.
Good luck

Love grandpa
PS: If Lewis is still alive, say hi to the old guy for me, will ya?

By the time I'd finished the letter, I'd made up my mind:

Stardew Valley here I come.

Two weeks later

'Rue! Hurry up, the bus is coming in 10 minutes!' Dad called. I quickly sealed the last box and lugged it across the ball, almost dropping it out the front door. I put the box in the back of the van and the driver shut the back. 'Alright if you give me an address I should be there about an hour before you.' I handed them the scrap of paper I'd written the postcode and place on. They nodded and drove off.

When the bus pulled up at the stop, I turned and gave my dad a quick hug then got on the bus. Then it was out of my depressing Joja life and into the valley of opportunities. (Author note: I'm. Sorry that sounds so cringey-)

After about an hour of travelling and listening to music on my phone, I saw a sign that read 'stardew valley 0.5 miles'
'Fucking finally' I thought. Once we pulled up, I saw a ginger haired woman who introduced herself as Robin. The rest happened very slowly but I was too tired to pay any attention.
Until I saw the farm itself.

(Authors note: yes it's a screenshot, deal with it) I felt myself sweating

I felt myself sweating. 'Dont worry, with a little determination you'll have this cleared up in no time!' Robin said gleefully. A LITTLE DETERMINATION? I'd need 30 days of determination and motivation to clear one section! I was trying to figure out where to start first when the door to the cabin opened. I turned round to see an old man with a moustache and green overalls (author's note: death to Lewis. You can change my mind). I lost attention of what he was saying and waited for them to leave before crashing down on my bed.

The next morning

I woke up stupidly early the next morning. I looked at Grandpa's alarm clock next to the bed. 6:00 am?! Great, guess I'm going to waking up every day at 6 for the next of my life here. I sighed and got up - and immediately stubbed my toe on a box that was right in front of the bed. I yelled out and kicked the box. 'Fuck's sake. 1 day in and I've got a broken toe.' I said to myself sarcastically. I looked in the box and saw 15 packets of parsnips and a note. 'Here's a little something to get you started - Mayor Lewis' huh.

I walked outside, momentarily forget the state the farm was in. I looked over to the side of the cabin where I saw a pickaxe, an axe, a watering can, a scythe and a hoe. I picked up the scythe and got rid of the annoying fiber bushes. I managed to clear a small plot for the parsnips to go and decided I should meet some people becausr why the fuck not.

I walked across the path to a bus stop, then to a small plaza-type square. I walked in and saw a doctor's surgery and a small general store. 'Useful I guess.' I thought to myself before turning and running into a tall-ish, blonde teen. 'I'm so sorry. I didn't see you there.' I apologized prefusevely (author's note: I needed auto correct for this and I don't know if it helped *cri*). 'No it's fine.' I stepped back so he could pass. 'Hey youre that new farmer over on Wool Farm, aren't you?' He asked. 'Uhm yeah. Why?' I was confused to why he knew I was the farmer. 'Mayor Lewis told the community that you were coming. I'm Sam by the way.' He held out his hand. 'Rue.' I said, shaking it. 'Well, I should be getting to work - and I won't take you away from yours for any longer.' He walked off.

Damn.

I spent the remainder of the day meeting some of the villagers and clearing up a little around the farm. The van had left all my belongings next to the house, and I knew I should start unpacking them, but I really couldn't be bothered to. I lay down on the bed and just thiight. Mainly about the blonde kid, Sam, I ran into earlier. I shook my head, telling myself if just met him, I shouldn't be thinking about him. I sighed and turned on my side to sleep.

Author's note:
Hey! I hope your enjoyed this chapter and you'll read the next. That sounds cringey ffs
~Marley