we'll always be something

It's rather amazing, the sight made by an amusement park's spinning lights and parade of colors. It could be its own small universe, made entirely out of unhealthy snacks and thrumming rides, where shouts sound like laughter and peppy old tunes dip and rise through the sky.

It's like a kaleidoscope, Mikaela thinks with a calm smile, breathing in pleasantly cool November air.

"Mika," Akane calls to him from where she stands with their class, around the benches near the comfort rooms. She has her hands on her hips, the words Class President printed clearly on the shiny paper band on her arm. "You really shouldn't wander too far off!"

"Eh, just admiring the view!" Mikaela says playfully as he walks closer. "I promise I won't disappear on a class trip."

"You better not," Akane says, fiddling with her braid and closing her eyes with a sigh. "Where's Yuu?"

Mikaela blinks and scans the crowd. "Wow. You think he died?"

"Oh!" Akane pokes him in the chest, looking exasperated enough to make Mikaela almost feel sorry. "You're supposed to be the responsible one! Exactly what happened to sticking with your partner at all times?"

"Okay, I'm sorry, but-!" Mikaela spreads his arms in a what-can-you-do gesture. "This is Yuu we're talking about, y'know. Maybe he went to the bathroom. Maybe-" Something barrels into his back and Mikaela has to shout in surprise.

"Shh!" Yuichiro clamps a hand over Mikaela's mouth in desperation. "Oh my God, save me!"

"Mmph!" Mikaela wrenches his hand off and starts rubbing his face in horror. "Oh gross! Your hand's so sweaty and icky, ew!"

"Seriously?" Akane says with wide eyes.

"Wha-shut up!" Yuichiro's ears turn scarlet. "My hand's not sweaty. Your face is what's sweaty, and icky!"

"Sure, Yuu," Mikaela says, his eyes scrunched and his tongue out, "Unfortunately for you, we all know my face is per-"

"Yuu! There you are!"

Yuichiro tenses and looks like he's ready to bolt. "Help," he hisses.

"Ah... Kagome!" Akane says in surprise, recognizing their former classmate.

Aoi Kagome is a girl with soft, bobbed hair and demure eyes, who used to be one of the popular girls in their school, who moved away just last year-and who has just called Yuichiro by his nickname.

( Unforgivable. )

"Akane! Mikaela!" Kagome's mouth forms an 'o' as she comes closer. "Oh, so many people from school!"

Some of their other classmates begin to notice her and look delighted. "Kagome!"

"It's nice seeing all of you here," Kagome says with a shy smile. Then she turns towards Yuichiro, clasping her hands behind her back. "Yuu, let's go on the ferris wheel together!"

( Ohh. )

Yuichiro scratches at his collar, glancing at Mikaela in alarm. "I, uh-"

"Ah!" Mikaela grabs Yuichiro's arm and smiles at her. "I'm sorry, but that would be kinda weird, since Yuu and I are, uh, dating!"

There is a significant pause wherein the majority of their classmates gapes at them (and Yuichiro almost chokes on his own spit).

"You are?"

"Oh my gosh! Hisakawa, you owe me money!"

"They're dating! I knew it!"

( Wait, what? )