Chapter 1 // The Beginning

°°Aspen's POV°°

The school was strangely silent. It was never this quiet. I wonder what happened. I entered the school and walked through the halls finding no trace of any students or staff.

Walking further into the school, a sudden pull on my arm was felt and suddenly I was in a classroom next to a stranger. 'Sorry about that but I was just excited to find other people.' the stranger said nervously.

'Have you found anyone else, something has been taking people and it's after all of us.' they continued. I stared at him in shocked still a bit taken aback and dazed from the sudden impact.

'Taking people? And no, you're the first person I found. ' I asked wondering if I was imaginating things or not. "Yes. Taking people. And by the way I'm Caleb." The now named stranger confirmed, putting his hand up to shake. "Aspen. Nice to meet you Caleb." I said in return with a smile taking his hand to shake.

"So what exactly is 'taking' people." I asked still needing more information, emphasising the word taking. "It started with one of the dnd bosses coming to life. The Moon deliverer. A flying bug look alike with tentacles for legs in its monster form that when looked at from below gives an illusion of the moon. To disguise itself before taking its victim. It has a human form but uses its monster form to easily grab its victims. Luckily, it only appears at night. " He explained.

" How did it come to life? That's not humanly possible. " I said. " A scientist made a serum that could make things come to life and they were crazy about dnd. Wanting to make dnd come to life, he poured the serum on one of the dnd campaigns or script and it came to life. It was all announced in the news. " Caleb continued.

This was a lot to take in. So there was a monster out for everyone and there was no way to defeat it?! I'm gonna die. I can't see my family anymore. They had probably already been taken by now and I couldn't protect them.

Tears were pricking at my eyes as thoughts spiraled in my mind. My breathing pattern quickened and my heart pounded in my chest hardly.

Before it got worse, Caleb snapped me out of my trance. "Aspen! Are you okay? You zoned out. I know it's a lot to take in right now you can calm down here for now but we are gonna have to go soon to look for supplies and maybe even people, " he comforted, patting my back a bit hesitantly.

"No its fine. Let's go." I replied. I don't want to burden him with my needs. He nodded and quickly stood up, pulling me on to my feet in the process.

We exited the school and fortunately, it was still around 9 a.m. Enough time to look for a good place to stay. I didn't have my keys and Caleb's house didn't have curtains so the creature would still see us at night.

We explored around the area and found a round dome that looked like it led underground. Next to it was a figure of what seemed to be a middle-aged man wearing a coat. We were a bit skeptical on whether to ask this man to stay with him but it seemed to be the best option.

We walked towards the male and as we got closer he looked up from whatever he was staring at before. We started to back away just in case he didn't want us nearby until he suddenly shouted.

" People! Come in! Come in! You must be looking for a place to stay. Oh my god I'm so happy there's more of us. Come in! Get comfortable! " The unknown person exclaimed. His facial expression looked genuine but we still hesitantly followed him keeping our guard up in case something was up.

As the man showed us around his house, we learnt that his name is William and that he was a chemistry scientist. Wait. Scientist? Wasn't the person that made the serum also a scientist?

Caleb must have thought the same thing because he asked firmly " Are you the scientist that made the serum that started this mess?"

"Oh dear no! I didn't make the serum. My brother did! He's always been obsessed with wanting to experience dnd in real life. After making the serum, he ran off and poured the serum onto one of his own campaigns." William replied quickly.

"Actually now that you live here, I was thinking of training you. To defend yourselves and maybe potentially defeat this monster. The beast he manifested can send its minions to hunt for people like us but now that the dnd reality has became real. We can learn magic! I can make potions to assist us of course. " He continued.

Caleb and I stared at him wide-eyed. It did seem cool and necessary to train after what he said but I turned to Caleb to see what he thought. We stared at each other and nodded as if we read each others' mind. " We'll do it. " I answered.

"Wonderful! Follow me, I'll teach you the basic spells and fighting techniques first. Then I'll teach you a bit of chemistry in case you need to make potions for yourselves. " the scientist stated.

He led us to a big room that contained a ton of equipment, mannequins, serums and ingredients but still having space for other things.

This was going to be fun.

WC: 932

A/N :
OK first chapter done! Hopefully you enjoyed this story and didn't find it cringe :') OK byee.