The Real Enemy

The boy raised an eyebrow when Levali approached. 

"Need something?" he asked cooly. 

"Um, no." She shrugged. "What's your name?"

"Method. Or at least that's what they call me. I design the tiny details in plans, now that Ni is gone." 

"Oh?"

She studied him. Tan with wrinkled clothes and a hat over blond hair. 

"And you're Levali?"

She nodded. 

"And your friends with Laelinne?"

"Er... yes."

"How?" He asked, cocking his head. 

The question took her aback. 

"How? Well... I don't know. What'd you mean?" 

"How, after all she's done?" His voice was bored, but his mismatched eyes glittered.  One green, one blue. They looked so ancient, but at  the same time, young. 

Levali looked back, but Lalinne wasn't there. 

"Um..." She stared into his gaze, almost lost in it. Oddly intense and full of eagerness. Not only that, but rage and joy and sorrow. Everything. 

"Why? Because she's mistreated, or because she's different than everyone else in her race?" Method asked, still chill.  

"I think... That they could all be as good as her. Maybe they already are, even without the weapon." 

"But they're still killing."

"Yes, but... they wouldn't, if they grew up as fortunate as I was." 

"'Fortunate?'" He prodded. 

"Er... yes?" He made her uncomfortable, somehow. But he was just so... interesting. She couldn't pull away. 

"I get what you mean. Although we lived a cruel childhood, yours was a free one." 

"Yes." She blushed. 

His eyes didn't glitter now, they shone. 

"So... you say that they're mistreated."  

She felt as if she'd said something dangerous. "Um."

"And so the god, therefore, is our real enemy. Not the Mercy."

I didn't say that, She was about to say. She opened her mouth, but hesitated. 

He pursed his lips. "Same here."

"What?" What?

He shook his head, then tipped his hat to her. His eyes blazed with excitement. "Well, then." A small smile played on his lips. "See you later." 

"Why do you care?" 

"You'll see. Someday. Just know who your real enemy is, then." He smiled at her. 

At that, he brushed past her and headed down the hall.