Anabusi

It's hard, Levali thought, to do much more than look up to Anabusi. They were just... perfect. Plain and simple, brilliant. 

She always caught herself wanting to impress her. 

One day, she'd be like them, too. She could say this without hesitation. After years of getting torn and tossed, knew who she wanted to be. 

Anabusi didn't look like Laelinne, with auburn brown hair, dark green eyes, and a feeble frame from years of hunger. She looked normal. But Anabusi stood so tall that every feature she had when even the noblest couldn't. Levali wished she could say the same. 

She sighed and leaned back against the wall, getting ready to leave. 

Anabusi. They were so perfect. 

A figure slipped into the room. Method. 

They had been talking for the last couple of days. 

"Hey," He said. 

"Hi," Levali said. "here to say goodbye?"

"No, I'm coming with you."

His sand-colored hair seemed to glow in the night. 

"Oh," she said, blushing. "Why?"

He raised an eyebrow, his eyes the familiar mix of teasing, earnest, and kind. Maybe a little wild. Sad and mad, and was that fear?

She smiled and laced her hands with his. She didn't understand him, but she still knew him. She was too young, but maybe someday... 

"I don't mean it like that," She added after an awkward pause. 

"I know. I'm just here to protect you," He said, then blushed. 

Levali blushed further. "Uh... right. The Mercy are scary."

"Not from them. You've heard the rumors." 

"I have," She admitted. "But Anabusi wouldn't do it." 

"...Right."

They smiled at each other for a long, uncomfortable moment. She squeezed his hand before letting go. His eyes were worried. 

But she was going to be okay.